Bootcamp help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 792218005, Jan 28, 2009.

1. 792218005 macrumors newbie

Hey. Just signed up to ask this.

I used to run XP over bootcamp on my Mac but deleted it after not using it for half a year. I'm feel stupid asking but is it possible to install Windows 95 with Bootcamp? I'm pretty sure you can install 98 but 95 has that charm I want. I pretty much just want it to play old PC games and I refuse to use any Windows over 98. Thanks for any help.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I imagine Windows 95 or 98 could be installed, but Boot Camp is a set of drivers which are only available for Windows XP and Windows Vista. You'll be using generic drivers, which will seriously undermine the usability of the system.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I tried installing Windows 95 for the original Command and Conquer 95 game, and it runs fine, however I found an even better option:

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Just use that to emulate Windows 95 inside Mac, since 95 is so old it runs really well under emulation, actually it runs better than through bootcamp where you've got driver compatibility issues since noone makes modern windows 95 drivers.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It also seems to run in CrossOver. (Disclaimer: I haven't tested it myself.) I believe the original C&C came out for Mac as well, but that would be Classic and wouldn't run on an Intel Mac.