BootCamp help!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Humey, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Humey macrumors newbie

I tried to install Windows XP on my Macbook pro and have run into an issue that I could use a hand with.

I created my Win XP partition using BootCamp Assistant and started following the instructions to load XP. I went into the XP setup and selected my BootCamp partition and started installing, after it copied across some files I was asked to re-boot to continue the install where I now get the message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the aboce file". I can't eject the CD from the drive and holding down the option key to select OSX at startup doesn't work.

Please help :(

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If I'm reading your procedure and you haven't left something out, I think the vital step you missed was to format the Boot Camp partition before beginning installation of XP. If you chose to left the current file structure intact, that is almost definitely why the install was unsuccessful. Re-insert the XP disc and overwrite the installation on the Boot Camp partition, this time remembering to format the partition after selecting it as the destination. If the Windows install is successful this time around don't forget to insert your install disc 1/retail/up-to-date Leopard/Snow Leopard disc to install the drivers to allow usage of the hardware on the Windows side.