Bootcamp: how do I view my folders in different OS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Vic 20, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Vic 20 macrumors member

I've been using Parallels for the past three years and I've had no real problems with it.
    I've just purchased a new mini and will be using autocad with windows XP and just wondering can I see drawing files on my computer HD when I'm either in XP or OS X?
    I know when using bootcamp you can only access one operating system, but I just want to check if I can still see my drawings and other folders.

Sorry it most probably is pretty simple but I've never tried bootcamp before and just wondering the option to go for.

2. Vic 20 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone?

I just want to know the difference before I go out and but another copy of Parallels. Thanks

3. rixy2010 macrumors newbie

I recently won a Macbook Pro (10.5 Leopard) on eBay fully loaded with Parallels4. Bootcamp installed. I have the install disk for Parallels I thought bootcamp was part of Parallels. Anyway, it came with Windows Vista in it. I upgraded seamlessly to Windows7. All I did was create a folder on the Windows side in the c-drive called "shared_media". When I'm on the Mac side, I can see, read, and write to the folder in the bootcamp icon.
    Rick

4. eponym macrumors 6502

When I'm in OS X, I can browse my windows bootcamp partition and copy over files just fine. But I don't think you can access anything OS X related when booted into Windows (not sure though)

And have you looked into using VMWare Fusion? IMHO, it's better than Parallels.

5. Vic 20 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

Strange as it seems I prefer to be in one operating system at a time, that way I just get what I need to done.

Also I found my printers didn't work after using Parallels etc., especially when I was switching between OS., so hopefully, there will be no hiccups if I print from windows

Thanks again

6. Zultner macrumors newbie

Full access to all files

Macintosh HD and Bootcamp partitions show up as disks and can be read by OS X and Windows 7. For read/write access, you can purchase and install Paragon Software's NTFS for Mac on the Macintosh HD, and HPS+ for Windows in Windows. Then all disks are fully accessible to both operating systems. I've had no problems on either side.

And if you ever want to change the size of your partitions, Coriolis System's iPartition software (about $36) makes it very easy and simple. Upon downloading it, you are directed to create a bootable CD. Boot with this CD, and use iPartition to resize the Macintosh HD and Bootcamp partitions to whatever size you want, and create a new partition for Data with whatever format you want (NTFS in my case).