Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yaschi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2017
I have a iMac mid 2010 and would like to try downloading Windows 7 on my computer. I would like to use a USB to partition. I heard it's harder to do it on older versions but I would like to try it out and see if it possible. Are there any recommend guides out there to help me?

macOS Sierra
iMac mid 2010
Processor 3.06 GHz intel i3
4gb 1333 mhz ddr3
ati radeon hd 4670 256 mb

CaffeinePizza

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2017
Maybe I'm not understanding your question?

I believe on Macs that shipped with SuperDrives, the legacy BIOS support only allows booting from the SuperDrive. It is possible to work around this, but it's for more advanced users. It is technically possible to install Windows 7 FROM USB media on this iMac, but it is not officially supported and will not work with Apple's implementation of Boot Camp and their EFI architecture.

If Boot Camp does not give you an option for creating a Windows 7 USB install media, it is NOT officially possible to boot from a Windows installation USB drive with your iMac.

If you're wanting to install Windows 7 on USB media, it is not possible without extensive modifications to the Windows 7 installation and cannot be installed under normal means. Even if you managed to make it work, you would have to either use rEFInd and probably manually create the hybrid MBR (terrible hack, why Apple?)

Windows 8 introduced the ability to be installed to and boot from USB media, but ONLY if the drive is recognized as a fixed disk and NOT a removable disk in Windows. Windows can only recognize the first partition on removable media.

Can you further elaborate what you're seeking to do? If what I explained is hard to follow, please let me know and I can tone it down a bit. :)

Yaschi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2017
Ive checked apple support and it says that Windows 8 doesn't support on my system because my model is old. So I'm only able to install Windows 7
[doublepost=1500048208][/doublepost]
Ive checked apple support and it says that Windows 8 doesn't support on my system because my model is old. So I'm only able to install Windows 7

Edit: what I'm trying to do is bootcamp my imac, but I don't know what are the nessacary requirements. I heard using cd to partition it, but I don't want to use a cd or a external hard drive.

CaffeinePizza

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2017
[doublepost=1500048208][/doublepost]

Edit: what I'm trying to do is bootcamp my imac, but I don't know what are the nessacary requirements. I heard using cd to partition it, but I don't want to use a cd or a external hard drive.

You can run Windows 8 or Windows 10, but Apple's normal Boot Camp installer won't work, you'll have to install the drivers individually. Partitioning is done with Disk Utility.

Yaschi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2017
You can run Windows 8 or Windows 10, but Apple's normal Boot Camp installer won't work, you'll have to install the drivers individually. Partitioning is done with Disk Utility.

How do you install the drivers individually. I'm sorry, but I'm a complete newbie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.