Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I have Windows 7 as a bootcamp partition. I created a virtual machine in Parallels from the bootcamp partition. Can I still choose to boot to the Windows 7 partition during start up? I don't want to mess up the Parallels virtual machine.

I use Parallels for convenience of not having to reboot. I recently received my ship confirmation for SW The Old Republic and I want to run in bootcamp to utilize my MBP's full resources. But I will still want Parallels for other Windows needs.

Thanks!

applesith

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Yes, you can still boot natively

When I set up the virtual machine, I had to re-register Windows/Office because it thought it was a re-install. Do you know if this would happen each time I switch from bootcamp to virtual machine? Thanks!! :)

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
When I set up the virtual machine, I had to re-register Windows/Office because it thought it was a re-install. Do you know if this would happen each time I switch from bootcamp to virtual machine? Thanks!! :)

No each activation stays "stuck" tied to the system configuration that it sees. The reason you need to re-activate under parallels ( or other vm software ) is because "this time around" the win system sees ( for example ) 1 gb of memory and 1 cpu and thinks this is a different machine.

Make sure that you fully shutdown the bootcamp vm inside parallels ( not leave it suspended ) when you boot up directly into the bootcamp partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.