Bootcamp in Parallels vs just Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Qwerty11, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Qwerty11 macrumors regular

Could someone please tell me which one I want to do and why? I'm so confused on which is the best way? I'm so confused.

2. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

You can't use bootcamp in parallels. Parallels is an application that allows you to install windows "inside" of Mac osX, but then uses RAM and other system resources to run it, that takes away from Mac OSX. Bootcamp, on the other hand, partitions your hard drive so that you can either boot into mac osx or windows at startup by holding alt when you see the all grey screen. This runs the two operating systems separately, and not together, where as with parallels, you run both at the same time. Bootcamp comes with OSX, and parallels you have to buy. Most say that Bootcamp is better for gaming, while parallels is good if you don't want to reboot every time you want to switch operating systems. I use bootcamp and it runs XP very well on my Late 2008 aluminum MacBook. But I have also heard really great reviews for parallels as well. It really depends on your needs.

Quote at least some of this post if you have any questions so I know you have a question. Hope this helped a little.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Maybe you're slightly confused, then. Boot Camp and Parallels work functionally different, but they can coexist. Parallels allows you to use a Boot Camp partition instead of it's own virtual disk, which gives you many advantages of both. You have the option of booting the same Windows install in either mode, but you do lose a few features that Parallels offers, like Snapshots, unless something has changed recently.

jW

4. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I did know that they can coexist, but I didn't realize that you could use a bootcamp install inside parallels. I've never used parallels so I wouldn't know. Pretty cool. Learn somethin everyday!