Bootcamp - Install Windows 7 - License?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Gazmo, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Gazmo macrumors member

Gazmo

Hi Guys,

My mac is due to arrive on Friday! Do most people have a copy of windows setup on their Macs using bootcamp? This seems to be regularly talked about and wondering if it's essential? Just how many programs out there can't be installed on the Mac? I would have thought most programs now offer an option to be installed on both Windows and OS X.

If it is recommended to have windows installed, do I have to purchase another license from Windows or can my current key from my laptop work?

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You're going to have to be a lot more specific about the software you are going to use on your Mac. A lot of commonly used applications have Mac-specific versions or equivalents that perform similar functions. For example, Adobe Reader is available for both platforms for free. Microsoft Office is as well, but unless you have an Office 365 subscription, you would need to pay for a new license. However, alternatives for Office exist that are either free (Open Office) or much less expensive (NeoOffice, Pages, etc).

Of course, it's going to seem like a lot of folks have Windows installed on their Mac, but I will just about guarantee you that we are a very small subset of the overall Apple user base. My primary reason for having Windows is to play games since most titles do not receive OS X versions. My Steam library consists of more than 180 games; roughly 1/3 of them are compatible with OS X.

There is a third option aside from Boot Camp and using OS X-native alternatives to programs, and that is virtualization. Programs such as Parallels, VMWare Fusion, and VirtualBox allow you to run Windows from within OS X without the need to reboot. Virtualization comes at a slight performance penalty, so it's not the best way to play recent games. But for games that are 3-5 years old and older, it can work OK. Further, these programs can be helpful if you own a Windows-only version of Microsoft Office because you wouldn't need to buy a new license or Office 365.

Again, the need for Boot Camp depends specifically on the specific software you use on a day-to-day basis.

Now there is no wiggle room here - you will need to purchase a new license for Windows to use on your Mac. If it is a model with a Retina display, Windows 8.1 will give you a better experience as it is better equipped to handle ultra-high-resolution screens. You can install a third-party application (I recommend StartIsBack even though it's not free) to boot directly to your desktop and make the start menu look like that of Windows 7.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many people run windows on their Mac either through boot camp which runs windows natively (like a PC), or through virtualization (which allows OS X to be running and then run windows inside OS X).

In both cases you'll need to buy a copy of windows, it does not come with the mac.

Those of us who run windows, need it, for specific tasks/apps. If you have no such need, then there's no reason to run it.

4. Gazmo thread starter macrumors member

Gazmo

I guess I'll see how I get on as I'm not sure what I'd need on Windows which isn't on the Mac.

Fair point on the gaming, that would make a lot of sense. I am surprised that these games developers do not develop for OS X like they do Windows - it's madness. I'm fairly lucky - the only game I play is Football Manager and that's on SteamPlay so is available to play on both Windows and OS X.

I do a bit of web development at home mainly using VS For Web - is there other coding programs available for the Mac? Other than that it's just day to day surfing, music, Football Manager which I mentioned above etc.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The intersection of Mac user and PC gamer is a niche of a niche market, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that OS X is often ignored during the development process. That being said, more and more titles are coming to the Mac every year, with porting studios Aspyr, Feral, and Transgaming handling major titles, most of which come out weeks to months after their initial releases. Most indie games will have their OS X versions released alongside Windows and Linux.

Aspyr and Feral always deliver high-quality ports, most times going as far as to fix bugs that were not addressed in Windows releases if they are able to do so. Representatives from both companies are fairly active in the games forum here and will respond very quickly to messages.

Transgaming is a lesser-known house whose record is spotty, though their port of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is surprisingly good.

Gaming on OS X is a worthwhile endeavor as long as the games you want to play are available and you have the hardware to run them.

6. mac8867 macrumors 6502

The answer depends on the type of license your laptop has. If it came with Windows 7 loaded, then you most likely have an OEM license, which is non-transferable. If you bought Windows 7, you may be able to move it.

My suggestion: Install Windows 7 (either bootcamp or virtual machine, whichever you decide). Windows 7 installs and then asks you to activate (you have 30 days to do it). Try your laptop key, if it's invalid or unusable, it will tell you. Then you would go buy a license, they run around $50-$60 (US) online for a license (no media).

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Bad advice. Never purchase a copy of Windows without installation media unless it was directly from Microsoft. More often than not, such low prices are the result of people selling CD keys that were obtained on the Microsoft developer network. If and when MS finds out, they will blacklist the keys, and you'll be stuck with an invalid installation.

Purchase a proper license from an authorized source.

8. Gazmo thread starter macrumors member

Gazmo

Thanks for the advice guys. So far I've not had any need to use Windows, I think the only thing I may need is Microsoft Office which you can buy for Mac anyway. I don't do a lot of gaming either so we'll wait and see if I ever need a use for Windows.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, if there's no stated need, then there's no rush to install it. Just hold off and enjoy your Mac :)

10. Gazmo thread starter macrumors member

Gazmo

I'm loving my Mac at the moment, possibly my best ever purchase. The user experience is brilliant and feels so much slicker compared to Windows.

Its hard to part with close to £1500 for a computer but so far I'm pleased with it.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, it is pricey, but it is a really great computer - enjoy :D

12. Gazmo thread starter macrumors member

Gazmo

Will do!! I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more questions on this forum getting used to things. So far everybody seems very friendly too!

13. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Not really; at least probably until spring you can run Windows 10 (Technical Preview) with a free generic Key with MS's blessing :).

Runs fine on both my Mini and MBA, and should allow you plenty of time to play with Windows and see how (and if) you want to run Windows - Bootcamp or VM.

14. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The OP was talking about Windows 7.

15. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but you weren't :D!

16. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Context is your friend. :rolleyes:

17. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Never had a problem with this, not once. I build a new virtual machine every time I add a new client. Not once have I ever had an issue with this. What I don't do is try to use the same key on a different installation.