Bootcamp installation reboots and begins over

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nightvision, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Nightvision macrumors newbie

I am having an issue with using bootcamp to install Windows onto a 25GB on my 2010 2.4GHZ MBP.

At the stage of installation when windows setup reboots the laptop, installation does not continue, instead a black screen appears for a while then the message press any key to boot from CD/DVD. Doing this then starts the setup again from the start.

I have partially remedied this problem by sitting at the laptop during installation and at the point of restart holding down the option key and selecting to boot the windows drive which then recommences installation. However after a minute or so of 'finalising installation' (or something along those lines) the system completely freezes, the mouse does not move etc and it will sit there happily for 30 mins without doing anything until I turn it off.

This has been tried with 2 copies of Windows; a genuine copy of Windows Vista 32 bit and a perhaps not so legitimate (OEM edition) of Windows 7. Both have the same problem of restarting to reload the disc from the start, although I have only tried my partial fix with the Windows 7 installation (will try on the Vista disc tomorrow).

The apple support on the issue is very vague and their guide essentially skips the whole installation of windows - goes from booting the setup disc to after installation install your macbook drivers >.>

Any suggestion on what the issue may be?
    All help appreciated as I really want Windows on my system in the next few days before I go to university so I can use Microsoft Office on it (do not feel like buying a new version for mac).
    Are there any other potential solutions for me to use my Windows Office on my mac? (I'm a complete newbie to mac, have only had the machine 3 weeks or so, I've heard about virtual drives and so on but don't know fully how they work and don't see them as the better option unless absolutely necessary)

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Have you tried not pushing the any key?

When you push it you are telling it to start again. If you leave it alone you should end up booting from the HDD.

B

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Balamw, do you think this could be a similiar problem that the 2010 iMacs are having when installing Windows using Boot Camp?

There are versions of Microsoft Office that are for the Mac. However, I suggest you should download a trial version to see how you feel about them. I don't particually like using Office for Mac as I don't feel like I get the same excellent experience as I do with Microsoft Office 2010. Office for Mac 2011 is coming soon and I've been hearing a lot of positive feedback from people so I'm eager to try that.

I have iWork '09 on my Mac partition but I barely use it as it doesn't really play that nicely with .doc/.docx files that I have so many of. Therefore, I tend to boot into Windwos 7 and use Office on that.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Possible, but my bet is on PEBCAK first. ;)

B

5. Nightvision thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I'll try your advice later today balamw, but I'm sure the first time I ran installation I wasn't really paying attention and when I went back to the pc it had loaded setup from the start again. Can't really remember though.

6. Nightvision thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol you were correct, feel like such an idiot because I'm pretty tech savvy (I set up dual boot vista and xp on my old pc no problem). But thanks, windows 7 is installed fine now and I can use my Windows Office :D

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:pI did the same thing for an entire evening the night I first installed Vista, so that's why I was pretty sure this was the problem. :eek:

B

8. alejandroc19 macrumors newbie

solution

It's easy just hold alt while booting up