Bootcamp installation?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dopeyman, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I've tried some searching, but couldn't really find my answer.....

I have a 2011 iMac with a 1TB internal drive.. I would like to install a small SSD drive (also internally) and use it my startup and a few apps to speed things up a bit...

My question is, does bootcamp HAVE TO BE installed on this SSD, or can I create it on the 1TB drive?

My son uses winblows for his gaming, so I would like to create a sizable partition for him.

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

As far as I'm aware the BootCamp partition needs to be on the Mac OSX drive.

3. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I thought it needed to be internal, but didn't need to be the primary/OS drive where you have more than one installed. Didn't think it liked external drives connected via FW/USB/etc.

4. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what I'm hoping for.. As long as the drive is internal, I can create the bootcamp...

5. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Checked my iMac when I got home, which came with a 1TB HDD and I installed a 512GB SSD. Moved OSX across to the SSD and my Bootcamp partition is on the HDD. Just wasn't 100% sure when I was sat at work in front of my horrible windoz machine!

6. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahhhh. Ok. So you said you moved osx to the ssd.

Excellent. Thanks for confirmation.

7. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate the HDD shipped in the iMac, after restoring my time machine backup. Then just switched the boot disk, checked everything ran OK on the SSD and formatted the HDD with 2 partitions - one for Bootcamp and one as a 2nd drive in OSX.

8. MJL macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily. I've had it that OS X needed to be on the dev0 drive but it does not matter on my 2011 and 2012 base mac mini. On the 2011/2012 models I have run bootcamp from an external drive (booted OSX on the external drive) and installed Windows on the internal drive.

9. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

How did you install bootcamp on an external? Was that USB? Thunderbolt? FireWire?