Bootcamp Installation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mais78, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Mais78 macrumors regular

Hi, I already have a bootable copy of Windows on a USB stick, created with a Windows pc. Does Bootcamp need to create its own bootable USB stick or I can use this?

Thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can use it.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You can use it but it's sometimes worth it to let Bootcamp make its own.
    When Bootcamp makes one it will incorporate all of the Mac drivers (if you tell it to) and then install the drivers at the right time.
    If you're compfortable adding the drivers yourself manually then don't worry about it.

4. Mais78 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks both. I read about the drivers thing that's why i was not sure.

So basically I will transfer the ISO file from the USB stick to the hard drive and then Bootcamp will put it back to the stick in its own way? Any need to reformat the stick for bootcamp after I transfer the ISO file to the HD?

Thanks

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

No, after creating an FAT32 partition, just start up from the USB stick immediately.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If you're going to let Bootcamp create a new USB then copy the ISO to the hard drive and then format the USB as FAT32 with an MBR partition type.
    And make sure it's a USB 2.0. USB 3.0 won't work.

7. Mais78 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, exactly which file I have to copy to the HD? It looks like this the USB stick content, there is no .iso file
    Thanks

Attached Files:

8. Gjwilly, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Looks like you have an installer for Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Since you don't have the ISO you can just uncheck the first checkbox in Bootcamp assistant and just let it create the partition for you.
    Then you'll just boot off of the USB you already have and then download and install the Bootcamp drivers manually.
    Or you can re-download the matching ISO fie from here:
    http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/
    and then use Bootcamp normally with all three checkboxes checked.

You could also try using a second USB drive and instead of copying a file from your USB to your hard drive, direct Bootcamp to your original USB drive as the source and the second FAT32 formatted USB drive as the target.
    I've never tried that though -- not sure if it would work.

9. Mais78 thread starter macrumors regular

Please help

I followed all the steps with the Bootcamp assistant, i chose the size of the Windows partition and after a bit i got a black screen saying Non system disk, press any key to continue. Pressed some keys on the keyboard but nothing, keyboard does not seem to be active. Then i rebooted from the main switch on the mini and I get a black screen with No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key. The Usb stick created by bootcamp with windows on it is inserted, i press keys but nothing....

Really dont know what to do...

10. Mais78 thread starter macrumors regular