Bootcamp Installed Windows 7 over Macintosh HD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mosi, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mosi macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am in a little bit of a bind and am hoping you guys can help me out. I have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro (10.6.7, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM) and decided to finally give Boot Camp a chance with Windows 7 Professional.

On launching BootCamp Assistant 3.0, it came up and told me that I needed to create a partition large enough for Windows 7. I slid the slider over to 99GB and then initiated the partition. It appeared to successfully complete the partition and then asked me to input the Windows Install disk and it would start installation, which it did. One thing that struck me as odd is that it didn't ask which partition to install on which I had seen in online tutorials but didn't think much about it because it had just partitioned as part of the BCA. The install completed without issue and booted into Windows 7. I loaded up the Snow Leopard disk and installed the drivers, it rebooted again and came back to Windows 7. Everything on Windows 7 looked functional so I entered the Boot Camp Control Panel to tell it to restart using the Mac partition and this is where I started to get that sinking feeling that something had gone terribly wrong. The only option to pick was "BootCamp."

I rebooted and held down the option key expecting to see the Apple logon option but none appeared. My only boot option was Windows. I inserted the Snow Leopard disc and rebooted again and booted into the Mac Installer. I checked disk utility and the only Volume under the 1TB Drive is "Bootcamp" weighing in at 970GB.

After a few hours of troubleshooting I believe that my HFS Partition table has been nuked by Bootcamp but I am not really sure on my next option. I have been messing with Testdisk and let it scan my hard drive for missing partitions and it found quite a few instances of HFS partitions but could not automatically rebuild them (I assume because I was using it in Windows 7.) It also saw my BOOTCAMP partition as 99GB as I originally intended even though Windows and Disk Utility show it as 900GB+. Testdisk suggested I use pdisk or parted to bring back the partitions. I tried to run pdisk from the terminal of the Snow Leopard disk but that didn't work either.

Using Photo-rec, I can see that my data is still there but it's not exactly easy to recover as the pictures, movies and documents are spread all over with no naming convention or structure.

I hope someone here in the forum has seen something similar and can help point me in the right direction. I have backups of most of the data at home but I am currently deployed in the Navy and would like to avoid a reload of the OS and loss of data if at all possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mosi

2. pizzafordinna macrumors member

FYI: your supposed to pick the partition your want to use during the Windows installer, not when using boot camp assistant. Just a tip for when you try to load Windows 7 again.

I don't see any way that you can reload both the OS and restore all your data to it without an external hard drive to put all the old data onto while you reload Mac OS X.

you mentioned that you used Photo-rec and saw that all your data is still on your hard drive. Posting some screen shots showing the location of this data might help someone smarter than me figure out what to do.