Bootcamp: installing XP without Superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Alkiera, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Alkiera macrumors regular

I've done searches here on this topic, and it seems like everyone gave in and picked up the Superdrive.

I've made a partition using bootcamp assistant, and I have an .iso of the legal disk. I used to install a VMware image, but I plan to replace it with the bootcamp image once I get that done; haven't even activated windows.

I have installed rEFIt; have the .iso and the files copied from the iso into the BOOTCAMP partition; but when it tries to boot to there, it complains about not being a system disk, or some such. One poster noted having two entries in rEFIt, and the useful one had something about a boot/cdboot.efi option, but I don't see that option in rEFIt anywhere.

Has anyone else made progress on this?

Also, it'd be great if one of these things could be made sticky, given the hassle it seems to be, and the several threads that have cropped up with questions, and not much in the way of answers.

2. Alkiera thread starter macrumors regular

Well, parallels let me set the Bootcamp partition as my drive, and the ISO as CDROM, and let me boot off the CDROM. This let me run the installer... but it only got as far as the first reboot. It won't boot from either Parallels or rEFIt.

Very frustrating.