Bootcamp instructions for 64-bit windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dugbug, Apr 2, 2009.

1. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

oh no they put their task bar up the side, how cool :cool: Anyway you can install Windows 7 x64 using Bootcamp normally, like any other version of Windows, and use the existing drivers, it all works fine, ive done it 4 times now.

3. dugbug thread starter macrumors 65816

dugbug

Didn't work for me in that some of the drivers went missing and
    Seemed to have incomplete nvidia setup

4. mustangfan18 macrumors newbie

Trying to install Windows 7

I downloaded Windows 7 64-bit, but I came to the conclusion that I don't know how to install it without it being on a DVD. Is there any way to put it on a DVD or do I have to order a disc?

5. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Burn.

6. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

If you downloaded it from Microsoft, it is in .iso format. That can be burned with Toast. Why did you D/L the 64 version? With 2gb of ram, does anyone expect to see a difference over the x86 version?

7. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

The drivers are there. You need to open the driver folder on the disc and manualy install 64. Also on the x86 and 64 version, both require you to manualy install the nVidia chipset drivers. It does not install the coprocessor driver the first time around. Always be sure to check device manager after installations.

8. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

The only useful thing in this tutorial are drivers for USB-Ethernet adapter. You can do the rest easily even if you only use software bundled with OS (Disk Utility, BootCamp) and Apple's instructions.

Also 10 GB will be too little, the OS takes this much or more.

9. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

When you try to install the Apple drivers off the Install disk, users are getting a not supported error. This is throwing most people off.

Simply browse the Apple install disc in windows explorer, use the x64 installer, then after reboot don't forget to do the same with the nVidia chipset installer.

10. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

You're right, I forgot this. I didn't care about the message as I knew before Apple doesn't support 64-bit on MacBook Air.

11. dakooga macrumors newbie

Although it's not support you can install the 64 bit drivers if you want. Bypass the initial setup.exe (which does the checking) and instead run Bootcamp64.msi from the Apple folder.

I got my MBA rev.A in Win 7 64bit (build 7229) running just fine with keyb lights, fading, web cam and Fn keys all working.

Regardless of the ram, 64 bit native compiled code runs faster than thunked 32 bit compiled code.

~Koog

12. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

in order to install all the drives, should I run setup.exe first and then bootcamp64.msi. If i run bootcamp64.msi from the apple folder it will only install the apple drives, correct?

13. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Wrong. It will install the entire Boot Camp drivers collection.

However, you should download nVidia drivers directly from nVidia's homepage -- they're more current AND Windows 7 (x64) compatible. If you have an ATI graphics card, download the drivers from their website.

Oh, and do NOT run setup.exe; it will only tell you that it does not support your x64 OS on this machine. Run bootcamp64.msi instead and be amazed that everything will work.

14. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

Just toss in a dvd and open up Disk Utility. On the left click on the dvd you put in, and then click burn on the top. It will ask you what you want to burn, just select the .iso and click burn. and your done! :apple:

15. rkwright macrumors newbie

rkwright

2 GB Limit on MacPro with Win7 64 bit?

I installed the actual release version of Windows 7 on my 2008 MacPro (which has 4 GB RAM). I initially mistakenly installed the 32 bit version. I realized what I had done when I checked the system settings and saw that it said 4 GB RAM, 2 GB available. But everything worked fine. So I wiped the disk (to be sure) and then installed with Win 7 64 Ultimate. Installation was quick and error free. Then I ran BootCamp. No errors and it all went perfectly. But when I checked the system info, it says 2 GB RAM. What?? Thought maybe it had been confused and installed the 32 bit BootCamp, so I uninstalled BootCamp, then ran the bootcamp64.msi installer directly. That worked fine. But same info. I do have the 64 bit EFI, BTW.

Any ideas or suggestions? Perhaps this is a bug in Apple's support for the Intel chipset? To be resolved "later this year" with the new BootCamp?

TIA

16. ocwaveoc macrumors newbie

Help!

I just installed Windows 7 on my MBP and inserted OSX leopard disc. But, according tot he instructions if the Boot camp installer doesn't start automatically (mine didn't) browse the disc using a Windows Explore. I have no idea what that means. I'm assuming browse the OSX disc. But, it's an installation disc. I have no way of browsing it.....and what is a Windows Explorer that browses a disc? Haha...as you can see, I'm totally clueless.
    Would someone lend me a hand?
    Thanks.

17. jjvdhoef macrumors member

In the bottom left corner you see the graphical representation of a folder. Double click on this. Now in the left column you will see the DVD you are trying to acces. Rightclick on this and in the contextual menu that comes up you will have the option to "explore" or something similar (I'm using the dutch version so he terminology might be different)

18. jjvdhoef macrumors member

This did not work for me at first, as the x64 installer gave an error (you need extra permissions, please install bootcamp.exe or something) However after rightclicking and selecting "solve compatibility problems" it did work like a charm.

19. dugbug thread starter macrumors 65816

dugbug

20. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

put your blank (Dual Layer if file size is above 4GB) into your Disc Drive, open Disk Utility, drag the ISO download onto Disk Utility, highlight it on the left pane and click Burn at the top, if it lets you choose speed, choose the slowest, when finished it should work under Bootcamp :) and any other computer for that matter

21. nitinkudikala macrumors newbie

where to download window7 64 b it for mac

can you send the link to download window 7 64 bit

22. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You have to buy it. This forum is not for downloading "free" software, as MR doesn't promote theft.

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

There's nothing wrong with downloading Windows, assuming you paid for a serial code, you just type it in, and the software is unlocked.

I needed to install Windows 7 and XP for work, and I googleD, found a link from MS's site(which links to another company that works with MS) and downloaded them.

24. ColeGoforth94 macrumors newbie

I installed windows 7 x64 on my macbook.
    I got around the x64 error, ect.
    It installed all the drivers except the ethernet controller, and another network driver.
    I've ran the repair utility and still nothing.
    Does anyone know how to manually download the network/ethernet driver?
    I've tried manually going into the drivers, and installing every ethernet option I see...