bootcamp issues with imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thedirtybird, Aug 7, 2012.

1. thedirtybird, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

thedirtybird macrumors newbie

imac intel core i3
    3.06 ghz
    8 gb ram
    late 2010
    500 gb. hd
    10.6.8 osx snow leopard

hello to all, im using bootcamp assistant on my imac, trying to get windows started. For some reason cant find the drivers. black screen. and get "windows is starting for the first time" I have a retail snow leopard disc that for some reason isnt wanting to find the drivers i guess. not sure whats really happening at this moment. sorry people. Can anyone give me the steps to load windows 7 from the bootcamp assistant? can any1 help? thanks for your time and knowledge. appreciated greatly. I REPARTITIONED NOW AND STARTING FRESH. HAVE A COPY OF WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL AND WANT TO USE WITH USB. FOR SOME REASON ITS NOT LETTING ME. ITS TELLING R"RESTORE FALIURE" ...................THE DIRTYBIRD

2. RedCroissant Suspended

I know this might not be the answer that you want, but have you considered just virtualizing Windows instead of partitioning your drive for it? Or are you doing this because you want to play games that might not play as well when virtualized?

And Bootcamp should be fairly straightforward, so I don't know why you'd be having problems and especially since it should prompt you to insert the MAC OS disc for the drivers. I printed the bootcamp directions the first time I installed XP on a BC partition, and it worked without a problem. I just got tired of having to boot into Windows so I started using Virtualbox instead.

3. thedirtybird thread starter macrumors newbie

4. RedCroissant Suspended

Virtualizing makes it so that you can run MAC OS X and Windows at the same time. That's what I do and what my wife does, but then again we don't play games that require a lot of RAM and processor resources. OS Virtualizing might negatively affect the gaming.

That download seems legitimate, so try it and it looks like it should work.

5. Mike L2D, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

Mike L2D macrumors newbie

What he means by virtualizing is rather than partitioning your drive the way you have with Bootcamp, you can run the two OSes simultaneously if you install Windows as a Virtual Machine.

Some games do have a problem with virtualized versions, so it would be best to read about your particular game if it will run out of something like VMWare or Parallels.

EDIT: Ninja'd

6. thedirtybird thread starter macrumors newbie

still stumped. i get to a point where it freezes after the installation is finished and it says starting windows and then the "black screen" freeze. please help me! ive been tryin to do this all day and night. thank you

7. RedCroissant Suspended

Since bootcamp doesn't seem to be working for you, try virtualizing Windows instead.

1. Download and install Virtualbox.
    2. Set up the machine requirements first and then insert the disc to install windows on the virtual hard drive that you create. I would assign full 128MB Video memory and 4GB of RAM for Windows 7. Make the network bridged(it should then recognize your network).
    3. When it's done, installing, navigate to the menu bar and under the drop down menu for Machine, select"Install Guest editions." This will make it so that your Windows machine will be able to resized and work better within the virtualization environment.

I have done this for Windows 7, XP, Linux Ubuntu, and Linux Mint and have them running on a separate bootable HDD.