Bootcamp killed my MBP, please help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jampat, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jampat macrumors 6502a

My apologies if this has already been answered, I searched the forums and didn't come up with anything that helped me.

Last night I tried to run boot camp and create a 15 gig windows partition. I had run software right before and everything was up to date. Computer is a 2.5 w Leopard. When mac rebooted, windows install only came up with one drive showing ~130 gigs free. That was about the total free space I had on my drive before boot camp was supposed to partition it. I obviously did not want to format the mac part too, so I quit (F6). I expected to be able to reboot in osx, but that logical partition is gone. The windows partition only has a blinking cursor as I never installed windows. Disk Util from the recovery disk does not help as there is no logical partition for it to attempt to repair. Any ideas? Mac is supposed to be the easier and better way. I have broken a ton of windows computers in the past through my own stupidity, but here I did absolutely nothing. I last backed up a few days ago, so recovery isn't a catastrophe, but I'd rather get the drive back than have to set everything up again.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Jamie

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

First please refrain from using the word "killed". That implies that your hardware got damaged because of software and that's just not possible.

What version of Windows did you try to install? If it's XP it has to be SP2 and not from a OEM restore disc. First shut the computer down by holding down the power button. Start up the computer, when the Macintosh chime sounds hold down on the "Option ALT" key. You should be able to choose to boot into Mac OS X. It just sounds like your Windows install did not complete.
    Honestly if you don't know what you are doing you should download Apple's PDF instructions to install Windows via bootcamp. You can easily make a mistake and delete your Mac partition if done incorrectly.
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup.pdf

3. jampat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I apologize for using killed, I should have said wounded. I tried to install XP from an original disc, but the disc likely did not have SP2 on it. Holding down option alt brings up the boot choices, however there is no choice to boot into osx. Nothing I have done until this point should have deleted any partitions. Boot camp was supposed to create one for windows, I never allowed windows to make any changes (I quit before the drive format). My osx partition should still be there, but something has cleared the partition table. Basically I made it to step 2 in the guide, there was no partition, so I quit. I realize now that not having SP2 may be a problem, but I would be surprised that that was the root of my problems as windows never recognized the drive as two partitions. It seems as though boot camp didn't successfully create the second one. Thank you for your help.

4. jampat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fixed, I used GParted to repair the windows partition and things work now.

5. Rocio macrumors newbie

Rocio

Yeah, I would suggest printing out the instructions from bootcamp and read the instructions carefully before starting especially with the software requirements. Led me to a successful partition :)