bootcamp likes to make noise?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by paristexas, Apr 24, 2015.

1. paristexas macrumors newbie

Hi, when installed windows i already knew a couple of programs that i use would make the fan work and do some noise because their osx versions done that too, what i wasn´t expecting is that some simple stuff would "awake" the machine too. A few examples: when archiving big files (winrar); when scanning for virus with windows defender; when windows is updating ("modules intaller worker"); "host services:local/net serivice" seems to like to join the party too; i also notice when browsing the net (in osx only happen one time when i by mistake open all my bookmarks at the same time); i know theres more situations but im not remembering now.. the question is , is this the way that it is or something wrong here with bootcamp and something can be done to make it quieter? ahh and its windows 8.1 pro rmbp mid 2014 with nvidia card (read somewhere bootcamp always use the dedicated card, can this if correct be a cause too?). Thanks.

2. doynton macrumors 6502

You can use Macs Fan Control if you would like.

I use it on my Core2Duo MBP but not on my rMBP as it doesn't seem to need it (both running Windows 10).

The TIWorker job (running Windows updates) does take a lot of CPU but it does (eventually) finish. You are right about the graphic card (you only have discrete card running) but it doesn't affect windows maintenance.

3. paristexas thread starter macrumors newbie

will research online about fan control aint confident yet to start using it , thanks!

4. chrfr macrumors 603

This stuff is all very heavy on CPU usage and Windows is less power optimized than OS X. It's a normal byproduct of running Windows that the fan will be on more.
    Utilities like Macs Fan Control don't allow you to lower the fan speed in these cases, and you wouldn't want to.

5. paristexas thread starter macrumors newbie