Bootcamp + Linux = Irreversible??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Iamtherealwoody, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Hi, I used bootcamp to install Ubuntu on my MB just to try it out, I use it on all of my PC's. But now I cant reverse the process because my HD is partitioned into 3, Mac, linux /, linux swap. Is there anything to reverse this process without doing a complete format of my HD, again?
    I just reinstalled OS X but I didnt format the entire HD, it took an hour so I dont want to go through that again unless its necessary.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

get another mac and try Target Disk Mode, and with Disk Utility delete all the partitions of your MB...
    partions should be able to delete... unless there locked...
    if so...
    dont know what to tell ya

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd try using Disk Utility to erase all the non-OS X partitions first.

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

Have you run the bootcamp setup assistant and used the "Restore the startup disk to a single volume" option?

5. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

tried each of those except using another mac to delete them.
    I am unable to mount the 2 partitions in Disk Utility.

Thanks for the ideas guys, but I guess Ill just do another fresh full install. Well atleast after the fresh install, Safari 3 beta works PERFECT!

Attached Files:

6. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Well I just did the clean install and used disk utility in the install disk to delete the whole HD.
    Problem solved.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Boot Camp isn't designed with Linux in mind. Although you'd think it would be able to handle multiple partitions more gracefully.

9. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

ya no biggie, i got an external HDD so i back up every week anyways, but takes about an hour to reformat, then 20 minutes to transfer all my stuff, and a week to get everything setup the way i like it:(
    but its all good, atleast i dont have to do that every other month like with XP.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hmmm... what is taking your install so long? My last Tiger install took 38 minutes. (This was on a dual-something MDD G4)

11. Iamtherealwoody thread starter macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

well it take about 15 minutes to check the DVD first, that is part of it, then i basically only install selected apps and printer drivers and only english languages, so it shouldnt take so long right?

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Ah. If you've installed from that DVD before, you can just skip the check. I've used the same DVD multiple times, and only ran the check once. You've got the options down right to save you some time. The only other thing is the speed of your DVD drive, but that can't really be helped. (Unless you install from, say, an iPod via FireWire. Dang, those are fast installs.)