Bootcamp Lion & Snow Leopard? (unnecessary)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kyffin, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Kyffin, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Kyffin macrumors 6502

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

bootcamp refers to running windows on a Mac; it has nothing to do with Rosetta or PPC apps.

3. Kyffin thread starter macrumors 6502

I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that bootcamp could be used to house another OS on your Mac (like Linux)- in which case being able to have Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) and Lion would have been a pretty handy workaround as I really don't want to lose my PPC software like Sigma Chess (particularly the HIRARCS engine which is excellent and cost me a bit).

As I've linked to in my edit and have read since there may be a better solutions- I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to choose between Lion and my applications. (I've also reported my post requesting its removal and tried to indicate its redundancy; however I thank you for your reply and clarification).

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Yes you can have multiple partitions with different versions of OS X on each. Or, you can install to an external and boot from that.

As long as the version of OS X in question is compatible with your Mac, you can select your boot partition by holding the option key at startup, or by the Startup Disk PrefPane.

5. Kyffin thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much Darth.Titan, that is good information indeed and exactly what I was hoping for.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Bootcamp is the software that help you install NON-MAC-OS-X (usually Windows) on a Mac. Multi-booting does not require bootcamp.

You meant multi-boot, and yes it's possible if your model supports the OS in question.