bootcamp mac drivers question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mburshteyn, Aug 6, 2010.

1. mburshteyn macrumors newbie

I am installing windows 7 on bootcamp right now on my 15 inch i7 macbook pro.

Unfortunately, my MBP OSX install CD is unavailable to install the drivers.

My question is, I have a 13 inch macbook pro osx install cd. Will that work to install my drivers on windows 7 for my macbook pro 15 inch?

thanks!

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

it should. The bootcamp driver package should just be a standard 800 mb package that covers the entire range of :apple: hardware.

3. mburshteyn thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome, thanks for the reply. i am about to find out in about 5 minutes :).

will post here how it goes.

4. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Download from the Apple page

I seriously recommend you download them from the internet. Thats the best way to ensure you´ve got the latest hardware drivers. When I installed Windows 7 on mine I did it with the CD and now it has repeated drivers and old drivers as well.

Still your mac is going to work enough for you to download from the internet and not have any troubles. At least mine did. The trackpad will work without some functions but that aren´t critical. And the keyboard will work as a PC one. This before installing the drivers. After you got them all set, you are good to go, and your mac will work even better than an HP laptop. It will be lean and fast.

5. mburshteyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait are you advocating don't use the CD at all?

I'm not sure I have the tech savvy to download every driver update from the internet for my mbp 15 inch i7...i don't even know where to look.

Is the CD not the most recent drivers?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

nah you can use the CD but no they aren't the latest drivers.

What I always do is utilize the cd drivers to get the system (most specifically the video drivers) off the ground. After you use the CD, it'll install the "Apple Software Update" application in the start menu which you can use to download and install the latest drivers automagically.

7. mburshteyn thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ok. So i just did apple update and it is saying there is an update available but it's labelled "bootcamp macbook pro 13 inch update"

uh oh. is this because i used the 13 inch cd on my 15 inch?

i'm downloading bootcamp software update 3.1 from apple's website right now. hopefully that will be the right one that i need...

8. mburshteyn thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm won't let me install 3.1 that i downloaded from online. says a newer version is already installed.

maybe it is just mislabeling it as "13 inch" but there are no material differences?

the computer seems to be working fine...

we'll see when i try installing SC2 i guess