Bootcamp made my Macbook go insane

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bee.squared, Jul 23, 2009.

1. bee.squared macrumors newbie

So, I decided to install XP Pro (legit, retail install disc) on my macbook with Bootcamp.

Went through the bootcamp guide, partitioned my drive, all was well. Was told to insert installation disc and continue the installation.

Everything went fine until the Windows Install started. It got to the page that lists "If you wish to install Windows XP now, press ENTER/Repair press R."

So I hit enter.

Nothing...

Tapped a couple more times...

Still nothing.

I was using the keyboard on the macbook, not an external keyboard. Nothing was happening. Caps Lock light wouldn't even come on.

I shut down the computer and, after MANY attempts, managed to get it to spit the XP disc out.

When I restarted, I was taken to a blank screen that said "No bootable drive -- please insert install media to continue."

I tried using the option key to get a Startup Disc menu.. nothing.. Reset the SMC.. nothing..

Called the apple support line -- they didn't tell me WHY my keyboard won't work, just told me to try a USB keyboard... that worked. My computer now boots into OSX, but the keyboard still won't work. They want me to send my macbook in for the keyboard to be replaced, which is great, 'cause I have apple care...

but WHAT could have caused bootcamp to kill the keyboard, and is there anyway to fix it without sending it in (other than buying/installing a new keyboard on my own)?

2. xodus macrumors newbie

First repair permissions. Failing that, repair your main HD (you'll need your OSX install disc)

Failing that, reinstall OS X. Yeah it sucks, but its the price you pay trying to screw around with OS X's partition.

Post again once you've done that.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Bootcamp won't fry a keyboard. Neither will installing anything else for that matter.

4. bee.squared thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, my keyboard worked perfectly up until I hit that particular Windows install screen... then it stopped responding and hasn't responded since...

5. bee.squared thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried the repairs... nada.. The Caps Lock light won't even come on still. Trackpad won't work. Nothing.

Thanks for the suggestions, though! I never thought of doing the disk repair, as dumb as that makes me sound.

My box from apple arrived this AM, so my poor blackbook is going on a trip starting Monday, I suppose.