Bootcamp Moving Files ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Washac, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Washac, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Last time I set up Bootcamp I am sure I could move files between the Mac partition into Windows/Bootcamp partition.

Also when in Windows, if I went into the libraries, down the left hand side I could see the other partition and othe hard disks my machine, and I could pull files across that way also.

In this latest Bootcamp set up under Yosemite I can do neither of the above and I require the option to move files.

Is there an answer to this or can this not be done now ?

Thank.

EDIT: Just read that this can be done and it uses a driver called HFS+, this it says is installed when you install Bootcamp, so I assume it was not installed for me, so what would the answer be to this ?

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The Boot Camp Windows Support Software installs drivers that allow read access to OS X's HFS partition, or at least it does on Windows 7 with my MBP.

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Yes, I read that but it seems not to be working here :(

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You could not access files on the Mac from Boot Camp before - never could, at least with the standard install of both. If you want to have read and write access between the OS X partition and the boot camp partition, that will require a different software setup, adding something like Tuxera NTFS for Mac.
    That will allow you to both read and write to the boot camp partition.
    If you are booted to the Boot Camp partition (and running windows) Windows won't see the OS X partition at all, unless you install some software like Mac Drive on the Windows partition.
    If you use Windows in a virtual machine, from something like Parallels, or VMWare, then you won't need the file system manipulation for inter-system file access. That's one of the advantages of using a virtual solution, and may be what you used previously

5. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

I know what you are saying but I was definitely moving files when using Bootcamp, at least in one direction from the Mac partiton to Windows, and that is all I require.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There are other methods to get the driver software. You might have an external hard drive that came with NTFS-3G drivers, and when you install that as a helper for your hard drive, you also inadvertently get the addition of read-write access for NTFS drives. I know that some Seagate externals include that. And - you have upgraded your OS X system which would write over those NTFS drivers. Maybe you can just reinstall those - probably just needs updates to work again

7. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there, I have upgraded the OS since I last used or reinstalled Bootcamp.

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

What year is your Mac Pro (assuming that's where you've installed Windows)?

9. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

10. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Did you install the correct Windows software? link

Also, to confirm - you're using a 64-bit version of Windows, correct?

11. Washac, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Do not know what was installed to be honest I just did it via the Bootcamp assiststant and followed the on screen instructions, it did ask for a USB drive to download support files onto.

Yes I did install the 64bit version of Win 7.

12. chrfr macrumors 603

Yes, it had been possible to read the Mac disk in Windows before, but installing Yosemite converts many disks to what's known as a "CoreStorage" volume. At this time, Apple's driver in Windows for reading Mac disks doesn't support reading these. It's possible that 3rd party support might, but you'd want to carefully confirm Yosemite support for whatever product you might pick.

----------

This is incorrect. Boot Camp includes an HFS read-only driver, but it didn't work with Fusion Drives or RAID volumes.

13. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Yeah, that method of obtaining the software is unreliable at best. Download the package directly from the link I posted. You might need to do it in OS X and copy it to a thumb drive/external hard drive, then copy it back to your Windows partition. It's a .zip file, so extracting it is natively supported in Windows.

14. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Well what can I say other than a BIG thank you very very much that solved all the Bootcamp issues I was having, all absolutely fine now :) :)

Not good when you follow the procedure laid down and it does not work correctly.

15. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I think Apple realized the same thing which is why they made the drivers available as a standalone download.