Bootcamp: My wireless router works on the PC side but not on Mac side

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Verient, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Verient macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro and I had AT&T help me with the settings in OS X so that I can surf the internet with my modem via ethernet. Everything worked fine.

Then I installed Windows XP SP3 with Bootcamp and bought a Linksys Wireless N Router. I used the install disk on the PC side to get the router working, assuming that the Mac side would work just fine when it found the network.

Now I can connect to the wireless router when I'm in my PC partition, but when I try using my Mac partition. It does not work. (Ethernet works with both)

When using other people's wifi connection, I have no problem. Only at my house do I have this connectivity issue.

What now?

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

As i recall, when i bought my Linksys Wireless N (160NV2?) a while ago (my Linksys wrt54G broke, don't know how;) ) i didn't install any discs on my Mac. Have you gone through the networking steps in system preferences? I would also google or search this site (better yet) how to use a wireless network with PC and Mac bootcamp, and see what comes up.

Furthermore, I have found youtube to be surprisingly helpful when networking problems arise. It probably has to do with either a MAC address or an IP configuration.. maybe type in the IP address of the router and see what is going on with that..?

3. Verient thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll keep looking

Thanks, I'll look into your suggestions.

As far as looking on this site for a solution (or any other), the problems with the Linksys routers seem so varied that I was not able to find one that addressed my particular issue (working on PC side but not Mac).

AT&T offered to reset my router for $99 but that is just plain ridiculous to me.

And I thought Macs were plug and play.

I'll keep looking. Thanks...

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

Mine has been pretty much, but i don't use bootcamp. I networked my girlfriends' PC and my Mac together.

I can't get over AT&T charging to come out and fix problems with their stuff. Were they going to charge you to reset the modem or router? To reset the router, all you do is put in a small pen into the reset button for 30 seconds. $200 a minute, that is almost "A FRAUD" territory of the pay scale.. He gets $1700 an hour.

5. Verient thread starter macrumors newbie

AT&T Ripoff

$99 to reconfigure the router. I think that means that they'll have me click that little button (as I've already tried) and then have me type in their infor again.

I am exasperated and sickened by this whole thing. The fact that the wireless works on the PC side and not the Mac side is baffling and frankly, makes me more mad at Apple.

My next step is to just go buy an Apple Airport Extreme, as I hear they work seamlessly.

Beyond this I believe there is no solution that will not cost money.

Thanks for your help.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

First thing to do with any Linksys router is to check if there is a firmware update from their site. This was typically the case with their older models, and might not be so with their new N models, but I would look into it still.

Also, power cycling is a universal fix for most basic problems. Unplug the modem and the router for 5 minutes, and then plug them both in, the modem first.

7. Verient thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try 'em

Thanks Madog. I will try both of your suggestions next.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

9. Verient thread starter macrumors newbie

Not Yet

HBOC & Madog, I have not had a chance to try your recommendations yet, but will do so tomorrow. I will be sure to let you know what happens. Thanks!:)