Bootcamp nightmare

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ashman70, Jul 15, 2014.

1. ashman70, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I just recently got a late 2013 27" refurb and I am trying to bootcamp it and having no luck.

I get as far as the first windows 7 install splash screen where you choose the language but I have no USB mouse or keyboard. My USB mouse is lit up but nothing happens on the screen.

I am using a legit USB2 key that I created using the Microsoft tool from a legit Windows 7 disc, why do I have no USB? I have tried every combination of the ports on the back, nothing works.

I should also add that I am using a Dell USB keyboard and mouse, the keyboard works on the initial boot but is unresponsive once on the screen where I choose my language.

Help?

2. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Can use your bluetooth keyboard and mouse that came with your iMac?

Also you need to d/l the apple device drivers but they are needed later in the install process.

When I installed Win7 with Bootcamp there are points during the install where the system "hung" for a while. So have to be patient in some areas.

Only other thing I can think of off top of my head is your Win7 distro is not valid? But you'd get some type of error I'd think.

Hope you get it working!

3. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I left it for over 20 minutes at the install/splash screen, came back, still no USB mouse or keyboard response.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

5. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Problem is resolved.

Problem was I decided to try and install Windows 7 via external optical drive and created the boot camp partition based on that, first mistake.

Once I finally decided to make the installable USB flash drive through the boot camp wizard I got farther.

When I finally deleted the boot camp partition and recreated it through the boot camp wizard, everything fell into place and worked.

6. Gloops macrumors member

Bootcamp will work with Windows 7 installing from an optical drive, BUT you need the Bootcamp drivers on a flash drive inserted into the Macs USB port while you're doing the installation. It includes drivers for the USB 3 hub, which the Windows 7 installer doesn't. It took me a couple of goes to figure that out.

My only problem now is that the Apple USB keyboard won't wake Windows 7 from sleep, I have to use the power button. Repairing the Bootcamp drivers fixes the issue, temporarily, but reboot and it breaks again. The power management tab in the keyboard control panel disappears.