Bootcamp... No Thanks.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Harry Muff, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Harry Muff macrumors regular

So, I thought I'd take a look at the new Windows 10 preview using Bootcamp.

Did everything it told me to, it goes smoothly until the end when when the Windows 10 installer says it can't update the boot configuration.

Oh well, I thought, it was just for a bit of fun...

I restart the Mac and get the regular chime but, instead of booting, it goes into a loop of small chimes and does nothing.

CMD-R time... Internet Recovery, yay! (Sarcasm)

So there I am, clenching, as I don't want the hassle of transferring everything over and starting again from a back up.

Luckily, Internet Recovery leads to OS X Utilities where I run Repair Disk on the SSD and Macintosh HD successfully.

I can't remember if Repair Permissions should have been available on Macintosh HD but it wasn't.

Oh, and I made sure to delete the partition that Bootcamp created just in case

Anyhoo, I clicked on Restart and manually selected 10.10.1.

And... I think all is good again.

Although, I'm now going to go hunting for the 5Gb or so it downloaded for the extra Windows files

It was supposed to be a simple bit of fun... It wasn't.

----------

Just realised that I've posted this in Mac Pro instead MBP thread.

I've reposted it there.

2. Harry Muff thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so I've found my missing disk space. That was my fault.

Also found "EFI" in "Volumes". I ejected it and restarted.

All seems fine in Mac Land again.

I might install Fusion and try that as I'm curious to see Windows 10, especially on the Retina screen.

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

If you have Fusion, go for it. I like the direction MS is going in. They are closing the gap.

4. m4v3r1ck, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Installing Windows 10 TP x64 in Fusion now

Like the Developers Previews from Apple, keep Windows Technical Previews away from your day-to-day hardware / production machines. Installing Windows 10 TP x64 in Fusion now.

Let's see what Bill Gates has been up to now he's back for 30% of his precious time :D

Exited!

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Run it in a VM like Parallels. I will not dare install it on one of my primary work Mac systems, I have it on a Dell Haswell i7 notebook with touch screen and twin GPU. The OS bricked last weekend while my kids were beta testing it for me and I had to do a full reset preserving data.

It is looking good - but rock solid stable for example like 7 RC was - absolutely not!

6. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

beta-test panel?

You have a not every mans beta-test panel :eek:

Isn't Parallels for Windows and Fusion for Mac? ;)

7. Harry Muff thread starter macrumors regular

I've managed to get it installed in VMware but I can't can't get the resolution right. The maximum allowable is too low for an rMBP

To be honest, I'm going to ditch it now anyway, it's only served to remind how much I hate Windows anyway. I just wanted to see it running on a retina screen, and it doesn't seem to be able to do that.

The whole layout just seems so messy compared to OS X.

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

My 3 team test panel all deny breaking it though :D

There are a few over in the windows forum who have gotten it running on retinas but 10 will not be on my bootcamp setups until I am 100% convinced it is rock solid.

That might even be a while after RTM- I am still waiting for Yosemite for .1 till I upgrade OS X. Besides I have plenty of other Win 7 systems here to upgrade first as guinea pigs!

9. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

I SALUT all beta testers of OSX Yosemite!

Do call the NSA to verify those statements! :D

I've never understand why peoples install non-public releases on their day-to-day (workflow critical) machines? I'm curious too about new releases, but not willing to kill any of my machines, just for the sake of: "remember you heard it first @me"

I'm typing this from my OSX 10.10 testdrive. So far so good, very happy with the overall performance of OSX Yosemite, but I'm still testing all my vital apps and prefs-panes. Before I convert it'll has to be the 10.10.2/3.

But, to be honest, I'm following these early adopters who give us all the feedback I need to be sure that converting is a save thing to do!

So I SALUT all of those beta testers, that help me along the way in deciding the moment to convert!!!

10. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I could have proved which tester was the culprit by booting off usb and reading the logs - but I wanted them to break it. The confession I eventually got after I explained they were not in trouble was touch screen and flash player related, but build 9841 it was clearly stated in the blog notes that touch was buggy. They are also part way through duplicating control panel and the pc settings (called xpc settings) and you can see the progress. By Xmas I will probably get my boy to try out black ops to test it harder, it's a similar spec to a rmbp with Haswell i7/16gb ram and nvidia GPU!

The only beta OS I have installed and used on systems that I use a lot was Windows 7 RC - that even went on bootcamp on one of my Mac setups but with XP being ancient and Vista dreadful, more unstable and slower than RC it was an easy choice.

I have toyed with OS X betas thanks to a friend with a dev account - but I still bear the scars of OS X 10.0 which was dreadfully slow and useless, probably the worst ever retail release of a Mac OS I can remember for 25 years and I reckon even worse than Microsoft. Windows 2000 only blue screened a lot with bad drivers. Fortunately I had OS 9 still and I didn't migrate to OS X fully till 10.3 and only 10.4 I thought was what OS X should have been like at launch!

11. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Are you a NSA agent?

Are you a NSA agent?

Was alway fond of Windows XP Pro, made one biggest mistake ever, buying a new laptop with Vista! Turned my back on Windows since, but became much more at ease with Windows 7 and 8.

Those were the days! :rolleyes: