Bootcamp... No Thanks.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harry Muff, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Harry Muff macrumors regular

So, I thought I'd take a look at the new Windows 10 preview using Bootcamp.

Did everything it told me to, it goes smoothly until the end when when the Windows 10 installer says it can't update the boot configuration.

Oh well, I thought, it was just for a bit of fun...

I restart the Mac and get the regular chime but, instead of booting, it goes into a loop of small chimes and does nothing.

CMD-R time... Internet Recovery, yay! (Sarcasm)

So there I am, clenching, as I don't want the hassle of transferring everything over and starting again from a back up.

Luckily, Internet Recovery leads to OS X Utilities where I run Repair Disk on the SSD and Macintosh HD successfully.

I can't remember if Repair Permissions should have been available on Macintosh HD but it wasn't.

Oh, and I made sure to delete the partition that Bootcamp created just in case

Anyhoo, I clicked on Restart and manually selected 10.10.1.

And... I think all is good again.

Although, I'm now going to go hunting for the 5Gb or so it downloaded for the extra Windows files

It was supposed to be a simple bit of fun... It wasn't.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Odd, I have the tech preview installed on my rMBP without a hitch.

I have to say that Win'10 isn't bad (for Windows).

3. Harry Muff thread starter macrumors regular

I've managed to get it installed in VMware but I can't can't get the resolution right. The maximum is too low.

To be honest, I'm going to ditch it now anyway, it's only served to remind how much I hate Windows anyway. I just wanted to see it running on a retina screen, and it doesn't seem to be able to do that.

The whole layout just seems so messy compared to OS X.

4. blooperz macrumors 6502

Windows 10 isn't even officially released yet so none of this comes as a surprise. I'm sure the final product will be much more polished.

5. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

I installed it in a VM and I got Parallels to think it is Windows 8 so it would install parallels tools for full resolution and functionality. I wouldn't Bootcamp unless I played a lot of demanding games.

6. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I never cared for Bootcamp. I don't have large graphical needs so I use VMWare. I have to say that I've been impressed with the Windows 10 preview.