Bootcamp not asked to burn a Mac Windows Driver Disc what do I do?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Banter, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Banter macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I installed bootcamp and have windows on my system successfully but I was never asked to burn a Driver Disk so obviously I cant do anything on windows! I have searched everywhere for an answer and can't find one that isnt use the disk you got with your laptop. Well I didnt get a disk with my laptop dunno why I just guess the shop (John Lewis) I brought it for just dont give them to u! So what can I do before I give up and take it into a computer place for them to sort?
    Thanks for the help

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Is it Leopard? The drivers are on your Leopard disk.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Install the drivers from the Leopard DVD that came with the computer.

4. Banter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes thats the disk I supost to get get with my laptop but I didnt get with it. I spoke to the shop I got it from and they dont give the disks out in the UK cause of something to do with the lisencing law.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh... yeah. They do. They really have to give you the disks that came with your computer. Is it a new computer? They have to give you the disks.

6. Banter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it brought it ealier this year! So is there nothing I can do without these disks?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, not really. And, if you ever want to reinstall, you're screwed too.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you paid for the license:cool:

sounds like they may be engaging in piracy

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Absolute bloody rubbish!

Every Mac (and PC for that matter) I've bought in the UK has come with the official restore disks.

Report the shop to Apple UK, you can find the contact details here.

10. RayaStarr macrumors newbie

Problem still remains...

The problem was not if he had the original MacOS disk or not (although sounds hinky that the shops wouldn't have supplied him with it), the issue was, and still is for some people, bootcamp is not giving them the option to "Burn a Mac Windows Driver Disk"!

11. Lordedmond macrumors regular

As has been said its the grey install disk that came with your computer , they are evan on the $30 SL disk so you DO NOT have to burn a driver disk,

its quite plain if you took the trouble to read the docs that bootcamp asks you to it evan recommends that you heaven forbid that yo print it out

12. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I don't think Apple will consider this a problem since all Mac users should already have the drivers on their Leopard or Snow Leopard disk. The beta version of Bootcamp did have the option to burn drivers, since Tiger install disks didn't have the needed drivers.

Options going forward would be either to get a copy of the beta Bootcamp assistant which won't install anymore but might still allow you to burn the then-current drivers, or buy a Snow Leopard update disk which will have the latest Windows drivers but will cost £20/€25/$30/whatever. You could even just amass the needed drivers manually and create your own driver disk. This would have the added benefit of letting you put additional drivers for any hardware you connect up to your Mac onto the disk. There are Windows drivers sites that might make the collecting of the right drivers easy.

I just checked Apple's download section and they have a Windows Bootcamp drivers update available here. It sounds like this is a complete set of new drivers, so it should do what you need.

13. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Buy Snow Leopard - upgrade your OS and get the drivers at the same time..

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Just call AppleCare and tell them you did not get install discs with your computer. AppleCare will send them to you. It has happened many times with other customers so it's not like they'll think you're trying to scam them because it costs Apple nothing for the disc and considering you've already paid for the license.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

The fulfillment disks cost about $30 for the pair.

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm aware of that but Apple is not going to argue with the customer accusing them of lying about not getting the discs - if the disc is not there, it's not there and it doesn't matter when the customer got the computer. It could be a month or it could be more than a year, Apple is not going to argue something don't really know about.

17. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If the fulfillment disks are the same cost as new Snow Leopard disks, why get those? I suppose if your laptop was new enough to have come with a recent version of iLife it might be worth it, but if it had say iLife '06 you might as well get Snow Leopard and buy a new copy of iLife '09 instead.