Bootcamp not installing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jrb599, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Jrb599 macrumors newbie

I am working on a 20' iMac Intel 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo. I used Bootcamp to partition the drive. Then enter in the Windows XP Home SP2 CD as prompted. After that the computer starts and all that happens is a blinking underscore on a black screen.

Can anyone help?

2. akbc macrumors 6502

Did you make sure to follow the instructions?
    Did you make sure to format the bootcamp partition? Because the partition that Mac OS X creates doesn't work. And the instructions tell you that you'll need to format it.

If you've tried the above, I'm not sure what your problem is :(

3. Jrb599 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Jrb599 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

When you are asked to put the Windows CD in from the BootCamp assistant it will restart and then go to the Windows Set Up screen, it will eventually ask you how you would like to format the partition. Make sure you select the right partition. If you are not getting to that screen then I would try to start over. Get rid of the BootCamp partition using Disk Utility and re-start BootCamp Assistant

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You wait for the XP installer to load (the screen with a load bar on the bottom). Then it will ask you stuff. Keep going and you will get to the format section. Selected the "BOOTCAMP" partition and either quick or full format.

7. Jrb599 thread starter macrumors newbie

^I've done that many times and I never get the Windows Setup screen.

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm trying to get a picture here. You put in the Win Cd and it restarts, then it sits on the black screen with the underscore for how long before you touch anything?

9. Jrb599 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Long shot but you could try the process over again and when it tells you to insert the Win CD do it and on restart hold the "C" button to try to force it to boot off of the CD. just a suggestion, other than that. Don't know. sorry

11. Jrb599 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok and if that doesn't work should I just drop it off at apple?

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

One follow up question-- have you downloaded, printed out and followed along in the Installation Guide that Apple offers at the top of their Boot Camp Support page?

It seems odd that your installation is giving you so many headaches as it is quite a smooth installation for most users, so thought there might be something being missed that the illustrated and detailed guide might point out. When it has failed have you gone back to square one by running the Boot Camp Assistant and removing the BC partition before trying again in case something is not set up right in the partition structure? I would certainly recommend you do if you have not thus far.

That is an interesting question about taking the machine to Apple too BTW. While I know that the Genius Bar people are happy to reinstall OSX for you should you lose your disks or have other problems with installing, I really wonder whether or not they will offer assistance installing software that is not Apple (i.e. Windows). I have never seen anyone resolve their BC problems that way, so it does have me curious. Be sure to post back here concerning your results if you wind up going that way so that we can make notes OK?

13. Jrb599 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I followed the documentation.

14. goldfronts macrumors member

i was having this problem a few days ago but i found an easy solution. after you create the bootcamp partition, pop in your windows disc and then let it load up. when you get to the blue screen to select which partition you want windows on, find your bootcamp partition and select it. then you want to reformat that partition to NTFS.

after you have reformatted the bootcamp partition from FAT to NTFS you can carry on the installation process as usual

EDIT: be sure not to select convert!

15. Jrb599 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do this while Leopard is running?

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Do this while booted from the Windows install disk.

17. Jrb599 thread starter macrumors newbie

See that's what I thought I made clear. When the CD boots, it's simply a black screen with a flashing bar. There is no blue screen.

18. goldfronts macrumors member

open the boot camp assistant and delete the boot camp partition then give it another try.

are you using a legit retail version of windows? or did you download it online?

19. Jrb599 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've deleted and retried a million times.

It is a 100% legit copy of Windows XP Home SP2

20. Lector macrumors newbie

same situation

Jrb599 have u manage to solve your problem?
    I'm having the same situation, but i have installed successfully Xp Pro and Vista through Parallels but when i'm trying it through Boot Camp i get the black screen too, If you have found a solution can you post me back i would appreciate it

21. Lector macrumors newbie

solution

Shortly after i found the solution a bit silly but it worked for me, Disconnect all the peripherals leave only your keyboard connected that will allow the setup to proceed

22. Jrb599 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I still haven't found a solution. No one on the internet is really able to help me.

23. Lector macrumors newbie

sorry to read that you still haven't found a solution that works, it's strange but i found on mine that even after i managed eventually to install windows when i want to boot in windows (not through parallels) i still need to disconnect my perepherals, who knows , hope you 'll find something