Bootcamp not working.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by h4mmer34, Jan 4, 2011.

1. h4mmer34 macrumors member

Ive read many of these threads and am wondering if there is anything i can do other than erasing everything because i dont have an external hard drive. I used iDefrag but i could only do the "quick" defrag and it wouldnt let me do the compact one. Do i have to buy an external hard drive to be able to partition? Thanks!

2. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

You're not making a lot of sense. You don't really need to defrag OSX hard disks - the system does it for you. Bootcamp assistant will be able to partition your main mac hard drive on the fly, then you reboot and install windows.

What is it you are asking exactly?

3. h4mmer34 thread starter macrumors member

When i use bootcamp an error comes up and says "Files cannot be moved"

4. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

What, so you've booted into windows, and you want to copy the install to an external disk because you want to...do something?

You're trying to create a bootcamp install and your mac disk is full?

You've created the bootcamp install, and you've booted into OSX and want to copy the windows files off somewhere?

What you've said means nothing without context.

5. h4mmer34 thread starter macrumors member

I want to use bootcamp to partition my hard drive so i can install windows 7, but when i go to start the partition using bootcamp it says unable to complete partition because some files could not be moved.

6. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Have you got enough free space? Recommend at least 32Gb for W7

7. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I've read up about people running into this problem when it comes to partitioning their drive to use with Windows or what not. The only solution that I've read from people is that you'll have to erase and resinstall OS X, which I think is a bit silly to do just to be able to partition your drive.

You can't install Windows on an external drive, natively anyway. I'm sure there are work arounds.