Bootcamp now not booting

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by joeeey, May 29, 2010.

1. joeeey macrumors member

Hi All,
    A friend of mine has a Mac Pro Desktop. He was currently running a Snow Leopard and installed Bootcamp. When he was prompted to insert his Windows he did and it rebooted. Now after rebooting it prompts him to " Select CD-Rom Boot Type: 1. or 2." but the keyboard will not respond. I cannot open the CD tray to insert the Mac OSX CD. So how can I restore the Mac back to where he was before the bootcamp installation. He does does have a Time Capsule installed. Any help would be great. Thanks.:D

2. MacVidCards Suspended

your buddy needs a Mac person

hold "option" at boot to see HD boot options.

3. wafl iron macrumors regular

your friend must have attempted to install a 64 bit version of windows (something) on a 2007 or 2006 era MacPro machine (Macpro1,1 or macpro2,1)

solution is to install the 32 bit version of the OS (or do the workaround that is not for the non-technically savy)

4. joeeey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,
    I don't know which version of Windows 7 he tried to install b/c the CD/DVD is still in the drive (which I can't open). How can you open the CD tray if the keyboard does not respond? I tried to use another USB keyboard and the same thing happens. So I cannot "hold option at boot to see HD options" and I have tried it several times and it stay in the same loop. I have his O/S X DVD I was going to boot from but I can't open the tray.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I know that loop. It sometimes will work with holding the key anyway.

Anyway thers a hole at the dvd drive to insert a paper clip to force it open. you might have to open the macpro first and pull out the drive.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

What model of Mac Pro?

If it's the 2006 or 2007 model (1,1 or 2,1), then you have had a problem with multiple versions on the Windows Installation disk.

There's a work-around, known as the Jowie ISO Method. It's also been covered elsewhere in MR (posted by gugucom IIRC).

Of course, you will need to get the current disk out of the drive first. The paper clip will work (might be easier if you remove the drive cage though; at least you can't scratch up the aluminum front that way). :p

7. MacVidCards Suspended

Plug in just a USB mouse.

Holding the left button at boot ejects disc.

8. joeeey thread starter macrumors member

I tried that also. It didn't open the drive. I need find out which version on Mac pro he has b/c he has no idea. I was looking for a hole to open the cd drive and I can't find it with the cover on. I guess I'll remove the case and it should be a lot easier to find then.

9. joeeey thread starter macrumors member

OK the Windows CD has been removed from the Mac drive. I inserted the O/S X CD and rebooted and held the Option key. Nothing... it is going to the same as before "Select CD-Rom Boot Type: 1. or 2". btw the version of Windows he tried to install was Windows 7 64 bit. Anyone have any idea how I can get this to boot back into O/S X? It will not respond to they keyboard and I tried others or the mouse.
    When I asked him which Mac Pro does he own he sent me this.
    "8.0GB OWC Matched Set (4GB x 2) PC5300 DDR2 ECC 667MHz 240 Pin FB-DIMM Modules for Mac Pro Quad Core / 8 Core systems. *Apple Qualified Memory for Mac Pro Quad Core / 8 Core models* Allows up to 32GB Total Memory. LifeTime Advance Replacement Warranty".