BootCamp on a double partitioned drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ccolaco, Jun 17, 2010.

1. ccolaco macrumors 6502

So the hard drive in my MBP is partitioned into two separate partitions. One for OS X and the other for all my data. I want to install XP for some games and so I would like to use bootcamp to do so. My question is, is the drive that bootcamp will partition limited to the one with OS X already on it? Or can I use it on my other partition that has all my data.

And second, should I want to revert back and delete the windows partition, will everything go back to the way it was? Or will I have to format and re-partition anything.

Thanks in advance.

2. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

HI

The Answer to your Question is : If u use bootcamp it would format the partition in Ntfs or Fat 32 format depending on the OS that u install ..So u have to backup the all your data and then use it for Bootcamp or you can create a new partition on the existing HDD using Disk Utility ..

Reply back if any issues .

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If your internal drive is already partitioned, Boot Camp Assistant will refuse to do anything to it.

4. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

If I use Disk Utility, can I partition any of the existing partitions further so I'll have a total of 3? Or do I have to format the entire drive and make it 2 separate partitions from the start.

5. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Yes we can do a partition without formating the drive, we have to create a partition using Mac part not windows part .

6. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried to do this in Disk Utility and make the 3rd partition an NTFS but it says the size of the disk is not supported by the filesystem (25GB in this case). Should I format as FAT32? I want to install FIFA 10 on the windows partition, will the 4GB file size limit on a FAT32 stop me from doing so?

7. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I'm a little confused as to why you have your HD partitioned the way it is. Why did you create a separate partition for data? You could have just left it unpartitioned and just saved stuff to the drive. Did you want to set a limit on how much you store or something like that?

8. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

I made a separate partition for my data so whenever I want to reinstall, I just need to reinstall on the OS partition, leaving my data untouched.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

10. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

Not to sure how this will help me. Seems very useful once I actually get Windows installed. I basically want to able to install Windows on a third partition without formatting the existing partitions. Can this program help me?

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You want to install Windows on a third partition without formatting existing partitions. Yea, ok, use a virtual machine. http://www.virtualbox.org/ You'll have to format to natively boot in Windows. I suggest using GParted. Boot in a Linux Live CD.