Bootcamp on a Thunderbolt 3 drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by adamk77, Apr 8, 2019.

1. adamk77 macrumors 6502a

adamk77

Hello. I just purchased a the Samsung X5 which will be here in a few days. I'd like to get to a running start on how to install Windows on it.

I know bootcamp won't let you install on an external drive. But as this is a TB3 drive, will it see it as an internal PCIe drive and let me install Windows on it without much fanfare?

If not, I'd appreciate any pointers -- links to guides or previous threads here on Macrumors. I'd like to partition half the SSD for Windows and the other half for MacOS.

Thanks for any help!

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Windows will "see" it as an external drive. However, there are work arounds which I'm sure someone will provide a link for you to follow.

3. Chocomonsters macrumors regular

With TB3 enclosure, you dont need to use BootCamp to partition and install. You can install Windows 10 directly to Samsung X5. It will be treated as internal PCIe drive but it will be seen as external drive icon. You dont need the RegEdit value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PortableOperatingSystem to "0".

4. Mettwurst macrumors newbie

Mettwurst

Of course you can also install the bootcamp version on your Mac first. Later, however, the term, with e.g. "Winclone" to copy to the SSD.

After a reboot with the option key you can then control the "EFI" partition of Windows and bam, you're in it.

everything else is described here