Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

adamk77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Hello. I just purchased a the Samsung X5 which will be here in a few days. I'd like to get to a running start on how to install Windows on it.

I know bootcamp won't let you install on an external drive. But as this is a TB3 drive, will it see it as an internal PCIe drive and let me install Windows on it without much fanfare?

If not, I'd appreciate any pointers -- links to guides or previous threads here on Macrumors. I'd like to partition half the SSD for Windows and the other half for MacOS.

Thanks for any help!

chscag

Contributor
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I know bootcamp won't let you install on an external drive. But as this is a TB3 drive, will it see it as an internal PCIe drive and let me install Windows on it without much fanfare?

Windows will "see" it as an external drive. However, there are work arounds which I'm sure someone will provide a link for you to follow.

Comment

Chocomonsters

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Hello. I just purchased a the Samsung X5 which will be here in a few days. I'd like to get to a running start on how to install Windows on it.

If not, I'd appreciate any pointers -- links to guides or previous threads here on Macrumors. I'd like to partition half the SSD for Windows and the other half for MacOS.

Thanks for any help!

With TB3 enclosure, you dont need to use BootCamp to partition and install. You can install Windows 10 directly to Samsung X5. It will be treated as internal PCIe drive but it will be seen as external drive icon. You dont need the RegEdit value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PortableOperatingSystem to "0".

Comment

Mettwurst

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
Basel, Switzerland
Of course you can also install the bootcamp version on your Mac first. Later, however, the term, with e.g. "Winclone" to copy to the SSD.

After a reboot with the option key you can then control the "EFI" partition of Windows and bam, you're in it.

everything else is described here

Comment

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
With TB3 enclosure, you dont need to use BootCamp to partition and install. You can install Windows 10 directly to Samsung X5. It will be treated as internal PCIe drive but it will be seen as external drive icon. You dont need the RegEdit value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PortableOperatingSystem to "0".

Hello, I came across your reply because I am trying to install Windows 10 on a Samsung X5 using bootcamp on a Mac Mini 2018. However, I am running into issues using bootcamp. I am curious what you meant by installing Windows 10 directly to the Samsung X5? I did purchase this TB3 drive in hopes of making the install simple. Could you please point me in the right direction to install directly? Thank you.

No need to look at this, but I posted my own issues on a thread this morning: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/help-with-bootcamp-install-on-samsung-x5.2205766/

Comment

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

Thanks for any help!

Hi, I am in the same boat as you with the Samsung X5 in hopes of making a Windows 10 install easier, half a year later. My Samsung X5 is here, but I am having trouble installing Windows 10 using bootcamp. At first, I tried to partition it in half just like you, but am having trouble. Now I decided to dedicate the X5 to Windows 10 only, but I am still having trouble with bootcamp.

Here is the thread of my issues:https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/help-with-bootcamp-install-on-samsung-x5.2205766/
But any help or pointers, or just letting me know what you did and how it went would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comment

indypup

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
I'm trying to do the same thing as you guys and not having any luck so far. Anyone have success yet?

Comment

mr_hyde

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2018
Italy
Recenlty I installed Windows/bootcamp for my MacMini 2018 on external SSD using the following guide:

Basically it uses VirtualBox to setup a virtual disk mapped to use the real SSD disk and to perform the installation.

VERY IMPORTANT STEPS:
1) Check the "Enable EFI (special OSes only)" option in VM settings
2) make sure to abort the execution of the VM (yes, you need to close the VM process) at the end of Windows installation process, just before the automatic reboot

This was the easy-short part, then I had to install the bootcamp drivers (and this has been a little nightmare. for me: the process took a very long time)

Bye,
Mr Hyde

Comment

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Albaida, Valencian Country
I'm trying to do the same thing as you guys and not having any luck so far. Anyone have success yet?

I was trying a lot of methods to install Windows in this drive (Samsung X5 500GB) but all of them was a fail. One because a INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, other because freeze at start up and so on. Finally I returned the drive and buy a Samsung Evo Plus with 1TB and a USB 3.1 Gen. 2 enclosure that gives me a 1GB/s, also overkilled to gaming and perfect performance with half price than X5 1TB.

PD: I installed Windows 10 1909 trough Windows To Go (Rufus) with no issues.

Last edited:
Comment

Megabass

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
Moscow, Russia
I tried many ways to install Windows 10 on my thunderbolt 3 disk and each time the installation ended at the imac reboot stage to continue the installation. IMac simply stopped boot and reloaded :(

Comment

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
I tried many ways to install Windows 10 on my thunderbolt 3 disk and each time the installation ended at the imac reboot stage to continue the installation. IMac simply stopped boot and reloaded :(
From my experience there is no way to install windows externally in a TB disk. I explored all the methods I found in Google and nothing of them worked. My only solution was the described by my in my last reply.

Comment

Megabass

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
Moscow, Russia
From my experience there is no way to install windows externally in a TB disk. I explored all the methods I found in Google and nothing of them worked. My only solution was the described by my in my last reply.
I still have an option using Winclone, but I don't really want to spend $50 to use the program just once

Comment

ShellDude

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
Apologies for practicing necromancy... but I've been having a helluva time getting a bootcamp image to boot on my OWC Envoy Express with a Samsung m.2 SSD.

I have a good USB 3.0 UEFI image I boot from all the time and was looking forward to picking up a little bit of speed with the TB3 / m.2 setup.... but it has failed me up to this point.

I've tried sysprep, registry hacks for deleting enumerated drives, various bootflag values, etc.

When I boot under the image on the USB 3.0 drive I see the PCIe drive, can access it fully, etc. I mount the EFI partition on the TB3 drive, bcdboot as I've always done in the past and I can't get past the initial Windows boot swirl. After 20 or so seconds, my MBP reboots (I get the chime) and can't get any farther than that.

With USB when I've had this problem in the past, I could still boot into safe mode but safe mode on the TB3 copy of the image doesn't get past the initial Windows boot "window"... no swirl, nada... a couple seconds later it just restarts and I get the (thank you apple for bringing it back) boot chime.

I don't think this has anything to do with bcdboot or the image itself at this point. Is there an ellusive windows "boot" driver for the controller we don't have? I've even tried using the Intel NUC drivers to no avail.

Since this thread just died, I assume you guys either gave up or figured it out. I know none of this is "officially" supported but I'm rather annoyed I can't crack it.

Comment

ShellDude

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
So this is an issue specific to TB3 enclosures with m.2 (nvme / pcie) drives. For reference, and an update, I moved my Samsung 970 EVO to a USB-C enclosure and the UEFI GPT windows 10 partition booted right up.

The only drawback is that I lost about 500MB/s read rate going from TB3 to USB-C.

I put Big Sur on the drive before moving it over and via the TB3 interface it was rocking a read rate of 1500 MB/s. When I reran the test with the drive in the USB-C enclosure that read rate dropped down to 1000 MB/s.

Still a vast improvement over my prior 2.5" TB2 enclosure with a Samsung SATA SSD. That setup peaked at 370 MB/s.

For further reference, the native SSD on my 2020 16" MBP comes in with a 3000 MB/s read rate.

I would love to get that additional 500 MB/s a second back, but for now, I'm done. I've wasted way too much time trying to get this to work. Hopefully someone else figures it out and I can pick it back up then.

Reactions: Irishman
Comment

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
So this is an issue specific to TB3 enclosures with m.2 (nvme / pcie) drives. For reference, and an update, I moved my Samsung 970 EVO to a USB-C enclosure and the UEFI GPT windows 10 partition booted right up.

The only drawback is that I lost about 500MB/s read rate going from TB3 to USB-C.

I put Big Sur on the drive before moving it over and via the TB3 interface it was rocking a read rate of 1500 MB/s. When I reran the test with the drive in the USB-C enclosure that read rate dropped down to 1000 MB/s.

Still a vast improvement over my prior 2.5" TB2 enclosure with a Samsung SATA SSD. That setup peaked at 370 MB/s.

For further reference, the native SSD on my 2020 16" MBP comes in with a 3000 MB/s read rate.

I would love to get that additional 500 MB/s a second back, but for now, I'm done. I've wasted way too much time trying to get this to work. Hopefully someone else figures it out and I can pick it back up then.
As I mention above, I tred all the ways to getting work the installation in a TB3 drive without success. Finally I did it with a USB-C enclosure and a 970 Evo+ and also get top speed of 1000MB/s (that overkill all the SATA SSD, btw).

All my work to finally sell lastseptember the MBP because thermals, poor performance (for a 4000 € machine) and seeing the plausible drop of price due the M1 ones. I'm now in a desktop beast with 10900k, 3090, 64 of RAM for less than 3000 €. Maybe but not sure, when the 16" M1 will be released I look how it work for the price and I'll buy it after evaluate it but I'm not really confident with Apple anymore.

Comment

ShellDude

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
@JosepPont

Thank you so much for confirming my suspicions. I ended up in the exact same spot as you regarding your setup... minus getting rid of all of my apple hardware :)

I still have some lingering things to try, but it has already consumed so much of my time, I'm no longer excited / motivated to try those things since it has been dead-end after dead-end up to this point.

Since I'm past the initial "boot loader" phase, I'm thinking there may be a driver issue or something causing the reboot. I can't capture a boot log and there is no stop message.

So perhaps one of these days I'll try a truly minimal image with nothing but the basic pcie driver loaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: JosepPont
Comment

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
@JosepPont

Thank you so much for confirming my suspicions. I ended up in the exact same spot as you regarding your setup... minus getting rid of all of my apple hardware :)

I still have some lingering things to try, but it has already consumed so much of my time, I'm no longer excited / motivated to try those things since it has been dead-end after dead-end up to this point.

Since I'm past the initial "boot loader" phase, I'm thinking there may be a driver issue or something causing the reboot. I can't capture a boot log and there is no stop message.

So perhaps one of these days I'll try a truly minimal image with nothing but the basic pcie driver loaded.
Good luck! I’ll do not need it but I’m so curious about how the hell it did work!

:D

Comment

Irishman

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2006
As I mention above, I tred all the ways to getting work the installation in a TB3 drive without success. Finally I did it with a USB-C enclosure and a 970 Evo+ and also get top speed of 1000MB/s (that overkill all the SATA SSD, btw).

All my work to finally sell lastseptember the MBP because thermals, poor performance (for a 4000 € machine) and seeing the plausible drop of price due the M1 ones. I'm now in a desktop beast with 10900k, 3090, 64 of RAM for less than 3000 €. Maybe but not sure, when the 16" M1 will be released I look how it work for the price and I'll buy it after evaluate it but I'm not really confident with Apple anymore.

What brand and model of USB-c enclosure did you guys have success with?

Comment

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Quick question for both of you guys: is the main difference between the 970 and the 970 + transfer speed? The prices for the 1TB capacity are as low as I’ve seen them, outside of Black Friday.

Also, is this the right Fideco? https://www.amazon.com/FIDECO-NVME-...=fideco+usb+c+3+m2+nvme&qid=1616337867&sr=8-3
I'm running with a 970 evo + but I cant answer you the differences with the 970 coz I don't know that. Anyway, if you are mounting it in a USB enclosure with a USB speeds, both will suffer bottlenecking (the capacity of transfer of the drive is lot faster than the USB 3.2).

The Fideco you are sharing is similar with mine but mine only have a female USB-C interface. This is my enclosure: https://www.amazon.com/-/es/FIDECO-...qid=1616352383&sprefix=fideco+,aps,251&sr=8-3

Comment

ShellDude

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
I don't think the difference will matter with a USB-C connection. You're basically bottlenecked to 1000MB/s via the USB-C bus.

Perhaps one of these days we'll get TB3 / pci-e sorted out for windows but even then the ceiling is only raised 500MB/s.

Here's the USB-C enclosure I went with (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N48N5GR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but I'm certain just about any USB-C enclosure matched to the interface of your drive will work.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.