Bootcamp on external???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ItouchMe, Oct 19, 2008.

1. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

Hey guys.. I have a 2.4 ghz $1299 WHITEbook...I want to put windows on there but I don't want it to take up my hard drive space...so I was wondering if I can throw it on a small pocket harderive and when I want to boot windows up, I can just plug it in and boot from there...is that even possible??? Feedback would be greatly appreciated

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Not possible - BootCamp will not install on an external drive...

Just make a smallish Windows partition on your existing internal (160GB ?) or swap it for a larger internal (250 or 320GB) and put your existing drive in an external enclosure.

3. ItouchMe thread starter macrumors regular

ItouchMe

if I make a 5gb partition for windows, what if I put programa and games on it. Will it just save to the other partion if there is not enough space on the 5gb partion...basically what I'm asking is.... Does the partition I make for the windows operating system have to be for saved files also or when I make the partion, should I be keeping on mind that if I save big files...it must go on that partition????

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Your Windows partition needs to be big enough for the OS and all the files (even temporary) ones that you will need. The files will not be able to runover onto the other partition. You can get Windows utilities to let you save files to the Mac partition (like movies/music files) but if it is games files they will have to go on the Windows partition.

A 250GB internal SATA drive is only about $75-80.....