bootcamp on macbook air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by twoodcc, Jun 30, 2008.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

do you have to have an external drive to install windows on the macbook air via bootcamp?

2. Savagestorm macrumors member

I beleive so, as far as I'm aware some people ahve tried to use disk images but have not been succesful.

Just a note, the only external drive you can use to install windows is the official superdrive.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply. i thought this was the case, after searching, but wanted to make sure.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i got it installed, but does it continue to run at 1.6 ghz all the time? isn't supposed to change, to save battery life, and so the fans don't run all the time?

5. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

Is anyone running parallels? I would be curious to know what kind of performance you get with that...

6. magid macrumors 6502

magid

Probably not so great at all. I have it running on my c2d mbp and its not all that fast.

7. PLin macrumors 6502

If you have another Intel Mac, you can always install Boot Camp, grab an image of it using WinClone, and then restore the image to the MacBook Air's hard drive.

I have used WinClone to backup and restore my Boot Camp partition on a MacBook Pro to allow me repartition the drive to allocate more space to BootCamp. If you can restore the image to a MacBook Pro, I don't see why you couldn't restore the image to a MacBook Air.

Also, has someone actually confirmed that you can't install Windows using just a generic USB external DVD drive? I don't see why it would only work with the MBA SuperDrive.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I'm running XP under parallels on my MBA. Works fine.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You cannot install windows XP on another Intel Mac, unless its a MacBook Air, and winclone it to make it work. You can only do that if you are cloning to the same model or the same system. Windows is incredibly picky when it comes to drivers.

10. deputylove8 macrumors regular

deputylove8

The thread I was looking for. Installing XP on the MBA. :)
    Right now, I'm torn. Should I use Paralles or just boot camp it.

Hmmmmmm.

Are there any disadvantages of using bootcamp?
    Can we transfer files from the partioned hd that stores XP into the partioned hd of the Mac OS?:D:eek::apple:

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why not use both?

Bootcamp is free and you can then use the bootcamp-created partition in Parallels Desktop. Thats what I do on my MacBook.

12. PLin macrumors 6502

Apple's Boot Camp setup installs the drivers for all the different types of hardware in the different models of Macs, so it should work fine. Even if it doesn't, you can always run the Boot Camp setup again in Windows to reinstall the drivers.

The only thing that you might have to do is reactivate Windows, since your hardware will have changed.

13. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, what about bootcamp and linuxes, such as ubuntu?

14. ant043 macrumors regular

does vista run well through bootcamp guys ?
    Thanks

15. DJGuy macrumors newbie

Parallels

I run XP under Parallels on my Air as well. But in order to stay within the 2GB, I only allocate 512k to XP, and I close (almost) every application in OSX. Otherwise you page to the disk continuously, which brings speed to a screeching halt. Still, once you set this up, it does run OK. Maybe someone has a better setup?