Bootcamp on MBP with no optical drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by titatom, Oct 13, 2011.

1. titatom macrumors regular

Hello all,

Here is what I have been struggling with :

My MBP (specs in signature) does not have an optical drive (I put in a 2nd HDD).
    I am trying to install Windows 7 via Bootcamp with a bootable USB created in Windows.
    I would like to partition the disk and DL the drivers in the Bootcamp Assistant, then load the setup on the USB via rEFIt, and install on the bootcamp partition.

It seems that the newer version of Bootcamp Assistant (4.0.1) does not let me partition the drive without the Windows 7 disk inserted. I know that in 4.0.0 you could decide "to install later" after the partitioning was done.

This version of the Assistant doesn't let me finish the WindowsSupport download. It takes for ages when I use to DL it in minutes.

Does anyone have a workaround or some experience they wan't to share ? Do you agree this version of the Assistant, well, sucks ?
    It's ironic is that it offers the possibility to make a bootable W7 USB with an ISO (although the option is blacked out for me...why ?)...and after doesn't let you install from the USB...

2. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Mine took forever to. Just let it go on the download.. Might take unto an hour. I Have no idea why but it can take that long, just let it do its thing.

3. titatom thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for your answer.

Any insight on the partitioning/installing w/ USB problem ? Why is the create USB w/ ISO option greyed out ?

cheers,

titatom

4. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Well its greyed out because you don't have a MacBook Air.

5. titatom thread starter macrumors regular

Well yeah, that's what I figured !

Does anyone know a workaround ?

The Assistant also says that if I have 2 HDDs, I can format one and use my second drive form Windows....but it doesn't see the second drive...

Looks like the only solution left is buying a cheapo external DVD drive...Thanks Apple !

6. dasmeer macrumors newbie

dasmeer

Toast

Use Toast to mount the WIN7 iso , Boot Camp will see that as a real DVD, you can then hit install to partition and after the restart use refit to proceed the install as you planned.

7. dlhomesolutions macrumors newbie

MBP no internal optical

Does this work with NO optical drive??

I am meeting a dead end every way I try to install windows through bootcamp. I also have my internal optical drive removed.

There has to be a way.

8. neenja macrumors 6502

seems like that shoudl work. osx will see it as a real drive and install should happen