Bootcamp on MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by February1088, May 7, 2010.

1. February1088 macrumors member

I just got the most recently updated 13 inch MBP. I tried installing bootcamp on it last night and it failed because when it is supposed to go to Mac OSX, I get this blank blue screen and it just stays there. I can hold option on startup and make it go to Windows (which has no problem) but whenever I tried to go to Mac OSX, it was trying to force me to install it (when I already have it installed)

Is it because I was using a copy of Windows 7 - 64 bit that I had already used on another computer in my house ? Or does it not matter whether the windows CD is already used or not? What should I do? Help ASAP I'm desperate =(

2. sellweek macrumors newbie

Seems like your OS got damaged somehow. Try to boot to HW test from applications install DVD. Just hold D while startup when DVD's inserted. If your MBP passes HW tests then reinstall it by booting from OSX install CD by holding C when booting. If it doesn't pass... Go to Apple Store...

3. squirrel77 macrumors member

squirrel77

What is the applications install DVD? Did you mean the MacOS install DVD?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The hardware test can be on either disc 1 or disc 2 depending on if it shipped with 10.5.4 or later. reference: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Hardware is not likely to be the issue if you can boot into Windows. If you couldn't boot at all, the Mac boots to a gray screen then, yeah that would be one place to start.

First step is to see if you can safe boot your Mac, which is done by starting up with the shift key held down. Does it show a login window, can you login and see your files? If it doesn't, and before you even consider reinstalling your Mac OS, you should run Disk Utility (which is on disc 1) on the internal hard drive, specifically the Macintosh HD partition. Repair permissions won't do much of anything but verify/repair disk will tell you whether you have things like an invalid file count or bad structure to the directory.

If you are concerned about the files on the Mac OS side, and have no backup, do a backup before you repair the disk. If you have another Mac, use FireWire Target Disk Mode to mount the drive (if it can be seen by the other system) and pull over your Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies folders. Maybe include your ~/Library/Mail folder if you have POP email accounts set up in Mail. Then boot back up to the install DVD (disc 1) and try to repair the drive or reinstall.