Bootcamp on MBP5.1 with SSD and HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sammygreen, Sep 17, 2012.

1. sammygreen macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've been struggling all night to install Win7 on my late 2008 MBP.

I've followed tutorials on how to use enable using an ISO file on a bootable USB using bootcamp however I've gotten stuck during the windows install.

When I select the partition I want to install Windows 7 on I get an 0x08...0005 error (sorry, I forgot to write down the exact error). I did some research and other users who have experienced the same problem have been Mac Pro users who suggested removing the drive you don't want to install Windows on. However that didn't work either.

I've also read that for some reason Windows 7 won't install if you use a USB DVD drive? Is that true? I installed the SSD as my SuperDrive is broken so I don't have that as an option.

Any ideas?

----------

Could I clone the Windows partition from another MBP and copy that to the drive I want to install Windows on?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

That would be true for all models of macs that originally shipped with a superdrive, as far as I know.

For some reason I think cloning might not be the best idea... Can't hurt to try!

3. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

If you already have a previous windows partition I'd recommend using winclone. It creates an image of the partition so you can restore it onto another hard drive. Good luck!