Bootcamp on Optibay drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lucagfc, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Lucagfc, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

Lucagfc macrumors 6502

Hi

I' ve installed a SSD in my Mac but now I need to install bootacamp. unfortunately bootcamp can' t install windows on USB drive so I wan' t to add my old 750 GB HDD in my Mac in place of superdrive. What I want to know is that bootcamp can install windows on that drive? Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can install Windows via Boot Camp onto the 750 GB HDD in your optibay.

Btw, "want" is one word and does not need an apostrophe. "Won't" on the other hand does, as it is a contraction of "will" and "not". "Want" is not a contraction, unless you mean something entirely different.

3. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry about that and thanks for the clarification!

4. knucles macrumors regular

no

No, you can't.

Bootcamp will ask for the windows cd and i can't boot from a usb.

Same issue here,....

5. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

I have a 550gb SSD in my primary drive and a 1tb in my optibay drive. I have osx on my main and Windows 7 on half of my 1tb in my optibay drive.
    It is possible to install windows on your macbook pro in the optibay slot, you just have to follow steps.

This will help you out.
    http://att.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1153513

6. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

After you run bootcamp setup, turn off machine. unplug the apple drive, and install Windows on the optibay HD you installed. Once it's done installing, you can replug the apple drive and get both Mac and Windows running like they are supposed to. You can have the DVD plugged in when you have the second drive being used as Drive 1, Drive 0 is your CD.

And yes that guide is awesome. Tis what I followed to get my SSD's installed.

7. knucles macrumors regular

This tutorials assume that you have a funtional optidrive. Mine is broken....

Any suggestions?

8. Gunlance macrumors newbie

I've tried just about everything to install windows on my dual SSDs. Is there anyway to boot off an external device (optical or usb)? THat's what the problem boils down to when I tried a bunch of different configurations. Anyone know if the official apple super drive solves this problem?