Bootcamp on Retina MBP ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by intz2nu, Oct 30, 2012.

1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I had wanted to purchase one of the new RMBP's but ended up going with a full-spec 13" 2012 Air instead because I read that theres no Bootcamp for running Windows on the new RMBP's as of yet. Does anyone know if this was changed and if Bootcamp is available to run Windows on a RMBP yet? I read it was due to Windows not being able to work with the higher resolution screen.

I must use Windows at Native speed and find it more enjoyable this way as well so Bootcamp is a must over other virtual softwares to install it. Can any of you RMBP owners/users fill me in on this one please?

2. Maczor macrumors regular

Bootcamp was runnable on rMBPs all the time. What you are most likely talking about are the drivers that weren't updated to fully support the retina resolution. Most of those issues have been solved ( but things were working quite well before too ).

3. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

OMG! After I dun went out and purchased a 2012 Air that came with ML pre-installed. I am now at this momment so angry that I had not joined this forum sooner and found out sooner before making my purchase. Now I am feeling I need to sell my 2012 MBA. I wonder if I can even get what I originally paid or how many $100.00's I will be losing if or when doing so.

BTW have you seen or test Win through Bootcamp? Does it look a million times better than on a regular PC?

4. Maczor macrumors regular

I haven't used it myself, so I can't really give accurate info on those questions. I mainly use Parallels or VMWare to run Windows ( since I do everything I want under OSX and the few games I do play have OSX versions too ). Just wait for someone with some proper experience ( intensive usage ) to drop buy... for sure there are quite a few people using Windows under Bootcamp quite often.

5. leman macrumors 604

I have been running Bootcamp from the day I got my rMBP. No problems with drivers so far. For graphics, I use the newest Nvidia driver as the one supplied by Apple is outdated.

I run Windows on 1680x1050 and obviously it looks worse than OS X as it lacks the supersampling HiDPI modes of OS X do. I tried running it on native + DPI scaling, but it seems that Windows DPI scaling is still a bit immature. Windows 8 is supposed to be much better in that regard.

6. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I don't think I plan on touching Win8 but this is a bummer now knowing that Win won't look as great on a Retina. So I guess maybe I'll just be fine and happy with my MBA. Sadly I know things probably won't mature on a Win7 side of aspect with Retina due to Win8 which I just can't see myself using.

7. melymel96 macrumors member

When running in bootcamp does your rMBP run hotter? I tried bootcamp on a standard 15" MBP and noticed that the laptop runs much hotter when running windows.

8. leman macrumors 604

Well, I only run bootcamp for games, so yes :) anyway, windows can only acces the dedicated GPU on the rMBP due to the way it's built (hardware video output multiplexer as opposed to software solution aka Optimus), so higher temps are to be expected

9. br3nt macrumors member

and since it uses the dGPU = shorter battery life. Just a little reminder :rolleyes:

10. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

I disable turbo-boost when im in windows running games. CPU and GPU barely heat up when this is disabled. Much cooler than the same game gets under OSX

11. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

How do you disable turbo boost?

12. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

You need to change the advanced power settings in power options and set the processor maximum power state to 99% or under.

Im in OSX at the moment so i cant give you the exact steps.

Its great, The framerate is the same give or take 1 or 2 fps but it runs cooler and a lower CPU temp also makes for a lower GPU temp too.
    Ive also got lubbos running to take control of the fans and i never see any temps above 75C