[Bootcamp on rMBP] Get Windows 7 or wait for Windows 8?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trojita, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Trojita macrumors member

I planned on getting a copy of Windows 7 for my rMBP. I was actually promised a copy from a friend, but he no longer has any copies. It is so close to the Windows 8 release so I don't know if I should wait or not. I hear bad things about Windows 8. There is certain application I need it for, especially gaming.

I've spent so much on this machine, that I wasn't expecting to spend even more.

I mostly plan on using Boot Camp but is it recommended to get Parallels as well?

Also does the rMBP operate even when the lid is closed in Windows 7/8 like how it does in Mac OSX?

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I would stick with W7 for now if you will be doing gaming. Many of the current games were probably extensively tested with W7 since that is the current OS that a lot of gamers use.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

"Also does the rMBP operate even when the lid is closed in Windows 7/8 like how it does in Mac OSX?"

like power nap? No.

If it's just for games I would go with win7, otherwise I would hold out.

Most people don't need parallels too.

4. Trojita thread starter macrumors member

I should have explained it better.

With Thunderbolt or HDMI you can have the rMBP connected to an external display and use it completely without the lid needing to be opened if you have an external keyboard/mouse connected.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Windows 7 >> 8. Windows is crap, but if you gotta game you gotta game. 8 is like Vista. added in some shiny but took away functionality.

6. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

running 8 now and haven't had any issues. There are some display changes but overall I had a pretty good experience so far.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Do you game a lot?

8. jacktorrance macrumors regular

You mean clamshell mode.

9. LeeM macrumors 6502a

i installed 8, really not a fan. would be good on a tablet, like the surface theyre releasing but for a laptop i much prefer 7.

10. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Pick up W7 (if you're a student) on the cheap at school. I would avoid W8 as I dread it like Vista.

11. All Taken macrumors 6502a

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377

I would learn from the lessons of Vista...

Microsoft added functionality to Vista that was unseen in previous versions of Windows, innovation at a high point, however, it proved to be form over function (Aero graphics problems, high RAM usage, the list goes on)

Windows 7 fixed a large amount of the issues that came with the innovation in Vista, Windows 7 has kept that Vista innovation but cleared up many issues that came with that innovation in the first round.

Now, my point - Windows 8 is a Vista, Touch screen via metro and many other developments that the market is pushing for, much as vista caved to fancy GUI before the OS was ready for such a leap. I see Windows 8 in that same situation, a stop gap, caught out by manufacturers demanding touch screen from its partnered OS, Microsoft have (at face value) created a more 'ready' product than vista this time around but it's still that stop gap, enough to keep people talking about it, good, or bad, it will keep Windows relevant with market direction (Touch screens) but it will not be enough in terms of functionality.

Vista was Microsofts best selling OS to date, upon release, market expectation, or, rather PC manufacturer pressure wanted it to be the next Windows 95, heck it was on paper, but alas it's function did not win hearts until Windows 7.

The answer in my mind is wait for Windows 9. It will be everything that the market had hoped Windows 8 would be, only fully functional without large issues, and it will be a resounding success.

Tick Tock.

12. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Not sure if anyone answered this yet, but yes, that works fine. It's in the power options (choose what to do when I close the lid, or something) - you can just select do nothing and it works fine in clamshell mode with an external display.

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It would be possible to wait for Windows 8 in your situation - playing games isn't really something you need to be doing right this second of course, however I would still go with Windows 7 as it will be more stable and I can see some games having compatibility issues with Windows 8 once it is released. If you're just going to be gaming, I doubt you will need any extra features of Windows 8 anyway - just a platform to install the games on and run them, and Windows 7 is very stable. I had it installed on my laptop at one point in time when I was more into gaming and I played a variety of games on the dual-booted partition for quite some time with not even the slightest hiccup - I highly recommend installing Win7 if you are looking to game.

14. spdntrxi macrumors regular

i see no reason to run win8 anytime soon. I use win7 ultimate with Parallels and it seems really stable. I only have win7 for a few programs.. Sony VegasPro and office basically.

15. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Ms is pretty notorious for buggy or broken initial release software. I would wait for the first service pack to upgrade to win8

16. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

for Windows 7, is the cheapest version (without student discount) you can get for use with bootcamp, the 64bit Home edition upgrade for like 80 bucks?
    I'm assuming the "Win 7 starter to home edition" thats like 35 bucks on amazon wont work. right?

17. minnus macrumors 6502

OP: You can download and install W8 release preview. This will allow you to have Windows up till October, where you will have the option to upgrade it to a Full version or downgrade W7, which may be much cheaper by then.

Btw, gaming on W8 is fine.

18. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

will the RMBP version of bootcamp allow you to use the W8 release preview for install?

19. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Windows 8 will probably be cheaper than Windows 7 and is only slightly slower than Windows 7 (but not as though you would notice), so you might be better off getting Windows 8.

I personally wouldn't use it to do anything productive (but then you have a Mac for that). But for gaming, where you are basically running one app at a time, Windows 8 will be fine.

20. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

cool. I'll install the Win 8 preview and use it until it runs out or until Win 7 gets cheaper. I'd mainly just be using it for games.

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

FYI: Hit the report button [​IMG] under your name and just ask for the post to be deleted.