Bootcamp on same or separate drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tayy, Feb 24, 2018.

1. tayy, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

tayy macrumors member

Hi all

I want to intall Win10 in bootcamp. This is my first time using bootcamp and I dont know if its best to install it on the same SSD as OS X or on a separate drive/ssd?

I have a 500GB 2.5" SSD on a PCI card.

Any pros and cons?

2. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

IMO, install Windows on a separated SSD connected to the native SATA 2 port is the easiest and safest way to do it.

3. chris.pielkenrood macrumors newbie

Dont you lose speed using the internal SATA connection instead of a faster pci?

4. tayy thread starter macrumors member

Yes you do, but i only need bootcamp for a few games so dont care if my Windows SSD runs slower, if its the most reliable option:)

5. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Only lost speed for sequential read / write, which is basically irrelevant for boot time, apps loading, and gaming.

By installing the SSD on a PCIe SATA 3 card, the SSD will now considered external. And install Windows on an external driver can cause lots of troubles.

6. MarkC426 macrumors 6502a

Personally I wouldn't put windoze anywhere near my mac......
    Answer to your question, definitely put on a separate drive (especially the way windows updates are applied these days).

7. tayy thread starter macrumors member

Well looks like I dont need bootcamp after all. Steelseries made a great tool to turn off mouse acceleration, so gaming on OS X ( I only play CS GO ) Wont be that bad like the old days.

Its called Steel Series ExactMouse tool