Bootcamp on second HDD in Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bspitch1, Jan 13, 2012.

1. bspitch1 macrumors newbie

I am trying to install Windows 7 on my second internal HDD on my Macbook Pro. I tried to use an external optical drive for the windows disk, but after bootcamp formatted the drive and the computer restarted, I would get stuck on a flashing off-white screen with the Apple logo and a circle with a line through it flashing on and off. I then tried to do the same process but with a flash drive, and the issue still remains.

How should I go about running windows on my second HDD via bootcamp?

Thanks!

2. mjohns930 macrumors newbie

This can't be done unfortunately with an external optical drive. I just went through this same thing about a week ago. You have to have the optical drive in the computer for it to work. Luckily I found a way around it:

I have a MBP and a MBA. I started to install W7 from a flash drive to the MBA. I waited for it to get to the SECOND reboot in the install cycle and stopped it when it shut down. I used Winclone to clone with Bootcamp partition from the MBA. I then used Winclone to clone that to my MBP Bootcamp partition and then finished the installation from there. It works 100% and I didn't have to have an optical drive in the computer but you need a Mac with no optical drive from the factory like the MBA to start installing Windows.

Or you could put the disk drive back in and move the HDD to the main bay and install Windows and then move it all back. I have done that too and it works.