Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
Hardware RAIDs can be partitioned.

Software RAIDs can't, at least those created by Apple's Disk Utility; and I think the Boot Camp Assistant utilizes Disk Utility.
To get a partitioned software RAID, you have to partition your drives first and then build RAID sets out of those partitions.

The next question would be whether Windoze can recognize Disk Utility RAIDs and I'm quite sure the answer is "no".

Just search the MacRumors forums using google:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/375302/

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I have tried to do this and so far I have not suceeded. So according to todays knowledge of this board I would say it is impossible to use OS X disk utility to build a Windows SW Raid0.

I have also tried to build a Windows HW RAID0 with a Highpoint RR2642. That has also been unsatisfactory mainly because EFI does not recognize the RR BIOS consistently at boot point. If you do not use OS X and Windows only the RR Bios comes up every time biut that is pointless.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
As gugucom indicated, it won't work for OS X's software RAID. You'd either have to find a better eSATA controller + driver (FakeRAID card) than the RR2642 that was attempted, or skip to a true hardware RAID card.

I'm not sure the details, but it seems to do with the GPT is implemented differently between OS X and Windows, so it can't interact. You need to use separate disks at a minimum (assuming attached to the logic board's SATA ports).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.