Bootcamp on SSDs - Trim

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frozo., May 20, 2013.

1. Frozo. Guest

Hello,

I've searched the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for, basically as I know with SSDs you need TRIM enabled, and that's fine, what I'm unsure about is whether you need TRIM on both the OS X partition and the Windows partition?

Cheers :) :apple:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes its its a good idea. I run TRIM on OS X and in Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro. There are no issues that I am a aware of by doing this.

3. Frozo. Guest

Thank you for the response :)

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You need Trim whenever you delete stuff or else it won't actually be deleted but can only be overwritten.
    I assume you delete files in Windows AND OSX.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, TRIM should be enabled in both OS's to take advantage of what TRIM does, and keep the SSD running optimally. Since its an OS level service, it needs to be enabled in both :)

6. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

You can leave Trim disabled if the SSD has garbage collection?

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Every SSD has garbage collection and it is NOT a replacement for Trim. Garbage collection works much better because it knows what data is garbage if trim is enabled. Otherwise it needs a big spare area to keep performance up and that still goes at the cost of more load and higher write amplification.
    GC was never a substitute for Trim. That is just something they told people so they wouldn't worry in the early days. Modern SSD GC relies on Trim being enabled because they usually don't keep any decent amount of spare area set aside anymore.