BootCamp on the new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Qutrit, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Qutrit macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you would have any idea/opinion about how it is going to work to install Bootcamp and run Windows on the new iMac.

Apparently there's no optical drive and an external optical drive seems not to work for these purposes...

Anyone has any idea? the last thing I would think is that Apple dropped bootcamp for the new iMac, that would be disastrous!!

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Just get an external dvd drive. Thats what I would do.

3. 81Steven macrumors regular

4. Qutrit thread starter macrumors newbie

But I read elsewhere that external drives don't work with BootCamp.... Am I wrong?

5. Haugiz macrumors member

In my 2009 iMac, I believe I could install Win7 from a USB-stick, but that this functionality was removed from the later iMacs. I think the rule was that if the computer had an ODD, you had to use it. You can install windows from USB on laptops without ODD without problems, so I'm guessing that's what will happen with the next model.

6. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

When I got my MBA in the summer and attempted Boot Camp, there was an option in Boot Camp Assistant to take an ISO of Windows 7 and copy it over into a USB pen drive along with the necessary drivers, so I figure that would be the case for the new iMac.

7. Andeavor macrumors 6502

That's right, Boot Camp Assistant can create a bootable ISO image on a USB flash drive. That should do the trick.

8. 81Steven macrumors regular

is it enough a 4gb pen drive for windows 7 iso?

9. Qutrit thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think that maybe the USB superdrive will work with bootcamp for this particular new iMac that doesn't have an optical drive? is this true for the MBAs?

If they make it work that would be another option for those who have a windows 7 CD and no optical drive machine to create the iso image.

10. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Yes, that should work. You can also, if I recall, type in your product key on Microsoft's website to download an image you can load onto a flash drive. I haven't tried that yet though.

11. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

As far as I know, 4GB isn't enough - you need at least an 8GB model. I had 8GB sticks to begin with, so I can't confirm that 4GB does or does not work.

Also, USB 3.0 sticks won't work.

----------

You can also download the images from the links on this forum page: http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

FYI, that's not my post, but one that I referred to for my copy and bookmarked for future use.

12. 81Steven macrumors regular

ty for the answer ;)

my last issue with new imac and bootcamp is the problem with 3tb drive bootcamp wont work :(

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You can't install Bootcamp TO an external drive. You can install FROM an external drive.

14. kevsun92 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any idea about how bootcamp is going to work with the fusion drive? Is it possible to install windows on the SSD part of the hard drive, instead of the HDD part?

15. 81Steven macrumors regular

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I think that means it will be supported in the future. They just haven't figured out where to put all of the 1s and 0s yet for that configuration.

17. 81Steven macrumors regular

I agree with you but I need to know when will be supported before ordering a 3tb fusion disk with the new iMac :confused:

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I suspect that it will be fixed by the time we can actually order a new iMac.

19. Qutrit thread starter macrumors newbie

I am assuming that if you get the 768 SDD you should be able to install bootcamp in it with now problems. Am I right?

A different issue is how expensive this is going to be...

20. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I can't think of any technical reason that stop you from using bootcamp and installing windows on an SSD.

Bootcamp is very important to Apple. They want to sell the hardware. It is only nice if you use their software afterwards. They will never mess Bootcamp up. Don't worry.

21. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, that will be fine. It's the same type of storage that is on the rMBP and I have bootcamp Windows on my rMBP.