Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qutrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you would have any idea/opinion about how it is going to work to install Bootcamp and run Windows on the new iMac.

Apparently there's no optical drive and an external optical drive seems not to work for these purposes...

Anyone has any idea? the last thing I would think is that Apple dropped bootcamp for the new iMac, that would be disastrous!!

Qutrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
But I read elsewhere that external drives don't work with BootCamp.... Am I wrong?

Haugiz

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
In my 2009 iMac, I believe I could install Win7 from a USB-stick, but that this functionality was removed from the later iMacs. I think the rule was that if the computer had an ODD, you had to use it. You can install windows from USB on laptops without ODD without problems, so I'm guessing that's what will happen with the next model.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
When I got my MBA in the summer and attempted Boot Camp, there was an option in Boot Camp Assistant to take an ISO of Windows 7 and copy it over into a USB pen drive along with the necessary drivers, so I figure that would be the case for the new iMac.

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
When I got my MBA in the summer and attempted Boot Camp, there was an option in Boot Camp Assistant to take an ISO of Windows 7 and copy it over into a USB pen drive along with the necessary drivers, so I figure that would be the case for the new iMac.

That's right, Boot Camp Assistant can create a bootable ISO image on a USB flash drive. That should do the trick.

Qutrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Do you think that maybe the USB superdrive will work with bootcamp for this particular new iMac that doesn't have an optical drive? is this true for the MBAs?

If they make it work that would be another option for those who have a windows 7 CD and no optical drive machine to create the iso image.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Do you think that maybe the USB superdrive will work with bootcamp for this particular new iMac that doesn't have an optical drive? is this true for the MBAs?

If they make it work that would be another option for those who have a windows 7 CD and no optical drive machine to create the iso image.

Yes, that should work. You can also, if I recall, type in your product key on Microsoft's website to download an image you can load onto a flash drive. I haven't tried that yet though.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
is it enough a 4gb pen drive for windows 7 iso?

As far as I know, 4GB isn't enough - you need at least an 8GB model. I had 8GB sticks to begin with, so I can't confirm that 4GB does or does not work.

Also, USB 3.0 sticks won't work.

----------

You can also download the images from the links on this forum page: http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

FYI, that's not my post, but one that I referred to for my copy and bookmarked for future use.

81Steven

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2011
ty for the answer ;)

my last issue with new imac and bootcamp is the problem with 3tb drive bootcamp wont work :(

kevsun92

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Does anyone have any idea about how bootcamp is going to work with the fusion drive? Is it possible to install windows on the SSD part of the hard drive, instead of the HDD part?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

81Steven

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2011
I agree with you but I need to know when will be supported before ordering a 3tb fusion disk with the new iMac :confused:

Qutrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
I am assuming that if you get the 768 SDD you should be able to install bootcamp in it with now problems. Am I right?

A different issue is how expensive this is going to be...

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I can't think of any technical reason that stop you from using bootcamp and installing windows on an SSD.

Bootcamp is very important to Apple. They want to sell the hardware. It is only nice if you use their software afterwards. They will never mess Bootcamp up. Don't worry.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I am assuming that if you get the 768 SDD you should be able to install bootcamp in it with now problems. Am I right?

A different issue is how expensive this is going to be...

Yes, that will be fine. It's the same type of storage that is on the rMBP and I have bootcamp Windows on my rMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.