BootCamp on USB3 or SD on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StogyBear, Jul 18, 2012.

1. StogyBear macrumors newbie

Hey guys just got a brand new rMBP and absolutely love it. I was wondering if there is a way to install and run windows using boot camp off of a USB3 drive or an SD card. My USB3 drive averages about 100MB/s read and write which is more than enough to run windows smoothly.

Has anyone successfully done this? I don't want to install it on my main drive

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Name a reason why you don't want Bootcamp on the MBPR vs having it on external drives.

3. ryane67 macrumors member

256gb internal ssd is a pretty good reason.

4. jcpb macrumors 6502a

256GB is a lot, try 64GB.

In case it's not already apparent: keep the OSes and apps directly on the internal drive, put everything else on HDDs or external.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Install bootcamp on the internal SSD, then use an external USB3 drive (preferably SSD) to store applications.

6. StogyBear thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 500GB SSD so space is not the issue. I don't wanna risk getting problems on the main drive and having it carry over to the OSX side, it is windows after all. With an external drive if something goes wrong I can just unmount it and move on. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but it gives me a peace of mind :)

I have parallels installed on an external drive and that runs just fine just want to see if it was possible with boot camp

7. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Or run OS X on a external 3.0 USB 6GB/s with SSD and run Boot Camp from the built in SSD. Lots of choices.

8. StogyBear thread starter macrumors newbie

my main use for the laptop is going to be on OSX so i don't want to lug around a hard drive just to use it. Windows will be used occasionally

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

that would be a viable option if you are mainly going to use Windows...but, odd to buy a mac to mainly use windows.

10. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I also have a new rMBP 256GB. I use it mostly at my office so I use Windows quite a bit. I keep Parallels on my internal drive and iPhoto and iTunes on my external SSD. The reason I don't keep Parallels on my external drive is because it's easily corruptible, it's happened to me twice.
    There are ways to run Boot Camp from a external USB but it's a hassle and problems always seem to creep up.

11. voronoi macrumors member

If something goes wrong with Boot Camp, you should be fine. The OSX partition is isolated from the Boot Camp partition (hence why you can't write to the other in whatever OS you're in).

If something goes wrong with Boot Camp that also affects OSX, you likely have problems with your drive that didn't originate from Boot Camp.