Bootcamp, Optibays and OCZ SSD's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrrippey, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mrrippey macrumors regular

For all of you using OCZ SSD's and an optibay of some kind:

1. Did you put the SSD in the main location or optibay?
    2. How many have Bootcamp on HDD and use that to format, sanity erase the SSD (which can only be done in windows)?

I singled out OCZ (Vertex and Summit) since it seems those are the most popular (outside of Intel) and I am looking to buy one of the three.

Thanks!

Rippey

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

i place the intel drive in my 'optibay' because my macbook refuses to acknowledge my intel SSD and have my HDD running in the hdd bay :)

can't answer your 2nd question not an vertex user sorry.

3. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

well that sux...maybe

Can you boot from the SSD? Technically if you can then it should not matter where the drive resides.

If you cant boot off of it then that kinda stinks. If you can, then u get to keep the motion thingy on the HDD in the original location...

4. p3ncil macrumors regular

Yea it boots, but only on my optical bay SATA port.
    me thinks optical drive ports gives more love to my SSD I suppose :eek:

doesn't boot when i place the SSD in the original location. :mad:

5. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I'd keep the HDD in the default location, as it has SMS (sudden motion sensor) and the SSD in the optical bay.

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Dont get the OCZ Summit, more here. I should start putting this in my sig every time someone mentions a Samsung SSD.

7. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

thanks all!

I think I am going to spring for a Vertex 120GB or Intel G2 80GB (if I can get it at the original $249 price). My optibay is not here yet so I have a few days to wait.

My drive is only 100GB full so I may not need 120GB (I also carry a 250GB FreeAgent drive JIC) so I will have three drives so I can save some money.

Putting the SSD in the optibay makes sense due to the sms in main drive location. As long as I can boot from SSD, I will be happy and I guess I could do that.

I read alot about sleep issues, she I just disable sleep entirely if I get the vertex? Not tht big a deal if I am booting up in 15 seconds or so but I use sleep alot.

8. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I have the Intel X25 in my optical bay, which serves as the boot drive. I haven't had any issues with sleep. I also read about the sleep issues so I was concerned.

9. andrer macrumors newbie

I want to note that you *can* disable the sudden motion sensor. Here's a link to Apple Support KB: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934

Not sure if the OS is smart enough to detect an SSD and auto-disable SMS, I'm guessing not.