BootCamp or Crossover for IE6/7 Testing?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by thriii, Jan 23, 2008.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

I'm a web designer and I was wondering which is the better option? I'm getting leopard which I think has BootCamp but I've never tested any of the 2 so I don't know which is better and why.
    1. For testing websites in IE6 and IE7 should I get BootCamp or Crossover?
    2. How Does Bootcamp work?
    3. How Does Crosover work?

I'm trying to get the fastest way to test the websites because I'm going to need quick acces to the apps so I don't have to take alot of time just to test a website

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

wowww is this exactly like ie6 on windows?? I been looking for something like this.. been using browsershots.org :) will check it out anyways :) thanks

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yes, it works just like IE 6 on Windows. I suggest using the scroll bars as the redraw when using a scroll wheel is much too slow. Flash is installed as well. I need to check on Java though.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's 95-98% like IE6 (in my opinion) in all it's erroneousness. I've only come across a few occasions when it behaved differently, but don't remember what it was from. ActiveX may be something that doesn't work, but unless you're developing in ActiveX that shouldn't really effect you if you're just checking your designs.

Like mentioned, the IE7 it has doesn't work yet. They're working on it. IE7 is at least more standard compliant though so doesn't require as much checking against. I also get the screen flickers on some pages when mouse scrolling.

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I tried that once, but not even the png fix worked. I'd much rather bootcamp it.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ooh, nifty tool. New one to me. I'd tried to get IE6 working in Crossover at one point and it was too unstable to be usable for anything.

I'll add, though, that I find a virtual machine to be the best testing option--it lets you run designs without needing to reboot, and since it's a full Windows install you get exactly what you want. I actually use some of the standalone-IE hacks so that I have IE4 (yes, I know), IE5, IE5.5, IE6, and IE7 all installed in a Parallels VM, and can test with all of the above while coding. In fact, you can even keep, say, a Win2K and Vista VM around, or a VM with and without Java/Flash/QT/WMP10/whatever if you want to be REALLY paranoid or need to know how it behaves with various types of plugins available.

It does suck RAM horribly, of course, but still faster than a reboot and less hassle than a WINE-based solution.

[Edit: Note that if you use the built-in Apache to serve your test sites, http://localhost/ won't get you there from within a VM (in Parallels anyway), but using the IP address will.]