Bootcamp or Parallels on new iMac fully loaded

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bigbadneil, Apr 3, 2011.

1. bigbadneil macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

Guys,
    I am going to buy a new iMac in 10 days time fully loaded with SDD and 2T Hard drive and 8GB ram, and want to know if I should Bootcamp or run Parallels on it;
    The only windows things I need to run for now are;
    To check my company mail via Citrix using a USB Smartbadge reader for authentication.
    Run a Golf Swing annalist software program

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would imagine Parallels would be up to the things you list. Much easier to use, and saves you having to restart your Mac.

3. bigbadneil thread starter macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

I am a wee bit concerned about the USB Smartbadge reader as I tried to get my company mail using my Sony Vaio running Windows 7 and there are issues with the smart badge reader and my company says there software is not compatible with windows 7 but will work fine with Vista so I will plan to buy Window Vista and install that in Parellels...................maybe I can try the free trial of Parallels and try that first to see if I can get my Chevron mail

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Just what I was thinking as I read your post. Download a trial and see if it works as you need it to.

5. bigbadneil thread starter macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

Thanks, will do and will post once I get it all done

6. bigbadneil thread starter macrumors 6502

bigbadneil

I have just come off the phone with 3 different Apple shops in KL and all of them say 2 to 6 weeks to order the iMac..............WTF.
    I really don’t want to wait, I only get one month off then back on the Oil Rig so I want it as soon as I get home in one weeks time.
    Apart from 5k Malaysian how much of a difference is there between a stock iMac and the fully loaded one that I originally wanted.