bootcamp or parallels or. ....?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by interinfo, May 29, 2012.

1. interinfo macrumors regular

I need to run a light program under windows

I have seen statistics that under bootcamp i will have up to 25% less battery life

Would i have more battery life using parallels or another method?

Best battery life is the most important....

2. BeeJee macrumors 6502

I use parallels on a pretty regular basis and never have noticed a decrease in battery life (or one that would bother me). Honestly when I first started using parallels I thought it was an annoying program and setup, however now that I'm accustomed to it I absolutely love it and wouldn't think about using any other VM.

3. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

You can use both, I use Parallels to boot into my bootcamp partition when Im in OS X.

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Virtualisation (any product) will suck battery a fair bit more than not, you're running 2 operating systems (or more) instead of 1 so the CPU will be burning more cycles.

Also, VMware (and possibly parallels) will switch on the discrete GPU if your mac has one, which will draw additional battery unless you force it to use integrated with gfxcardswitcher...

5. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

Try CrossOver Mac IX...

...runs Windows apps natively on your Mac, but without requiring the Windows OS.