Resolved Bootcamp or Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sickly Grin, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Sickly Grin, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

Sickly Grin macrumors member

Sickly Grin

So, I have an upcoming exam in two months which requires me to use Excel Windows version, not the OS X one which I already have.

I was pondering whether it would be worth it to use BootCamp or Parallels in order to deal with it. I know very little about these two solutions, so I was wondering if you could help me make a choice.

Question 1: If I use BootCamp, how much space will it take from my drive? I have a 250 SSD, and currently there's 145 GB free. And secondly, will this partition my drive? Can I remove Windows when I won't need it anymore and not lose any data?

Question 2: Is Parallels perhaps a more practical solution? Can I run it smoothly with my computer specs? (see signature).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. DarthVader! macrumors member

DarthVader!

Bootcamp - allows you to run windows natively, you must parititon the drive which reduces the amount available to OS X, and you have to boot into Windows.

Parallels (or Vmware Fusion), allows you to run Windows inside of OSX, downside is that performance will not be a great as bootcamp (this is an issue for games).

If you're looking to run a few apps, I say go with Parallels.

3. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Fusion 7 works smoothly with a Windows VM- and Excel doesn't need Parallel's greater graphics capability, and Bootcamp is overblown for your use case.

4. Sickly Grin thread starter macrumors member

Sickly Grin

I only need it for Excel, nothing else. And only for a couple of months. Is Fusion 7 free?

5. DarthVader! macrumors member

DarthVader!

No but VirtualBox is, I recommend this, you still need a copy of Windows, so if you don't own Windows, you'll have to buy a license.

6. Sickly Grin thread starter macrumors member

Sickly Grin

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

He also needs to buy an Office license for Windows unless he can get it for free as a student.
    It is a costly solution if he has to pay for a Windows license and an Office license just to run Excel for two months.